How can we further improve our Wiredstate Audio Community?

NEWS, Announcements, Greetings, Schedules, EBs, listening sessions, lectures, shoot-outs, field trips, gimmicks, etc. for WS members only...

Moderators: vintage_dog, audiostar

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:59 pm

onedown wrote:...now for the buy and sell section, i think it would benefit everyone if sellers try to limit themselves to one thread.

agree. sellers, take note.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:00 pm

joe3rp wrote:
There are some section (specifically the "vendors" ) that are in-active. Maybe they should be removed to lessen the sections.

will try to do without hurting some feelings... :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:03 pm

AnalogBuff wrote:As a newbie, may I suggest that you include more sites in the LINK menu.
Useful and informative sites such as Enjoy the Music.com audio magazines such as Stereophile and TAS review forums like SIX MOONS etc. can be very entertaining if accessed easily from the WS website.

A little step further would be to include a HOME THEATER SECTION for the videophiles too. I know we would like to win them over too to the AUDIO fold do we :).

Mabuhay po kayo!!

1. will try to include a thread on favorite links.

2. hmmm, not sure if we need to create a full HT section. there are other forums (like Pinoy DVD) folks can go to...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:12 pm

conspicuous wrote:
marty_e wrote:Please include section/sticky on how and where to DONATE anonymously to the board to keep things running. Small/big amounts, whatever - anything to help. Our forum has one of the most number of people who've actually met in person and private jokes, side comments, etc tend to bring topics OT which I enjoy. I don't mind putting in money monthly to create a slush fund that we either use to maintain the board, give to a charity of choice, fund an audio project or just use to buy some beers, hang out and have fun!

hear hear! :) i second marty's motion. maybe a bank account can be opened to be managed by a wiredstate board (for transparency). money can be deposited anonymously this way. this fund would also help pay for the wiredstate room being rented for the november hifi show :). there should be enough left over from the donations to pay for kegs of beer and crates of wine for those who drop by the ws suite :D

the idea (donation) surely can help and will be appreciated but i don't want to impose. WS does not earn any commission at all on products sold through these forums, but has remained totally AD-free!

Thanks a lot for your support, encouragement and being good citizens at WS. keep the peace at the forums! important thing is - we are all happy and enjoy music! :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Amplifine » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:47 pm

marty_e wrote:Please include section/sticky on how and where to DONATE anonymously to the board to keep things running. Small/big amounts, whatever - anything to help. Our forum has one of the most number of people who've actually met in person and private jokes, side comments, etc tend to bring topics OT which I enjoy. I don't mind putting in money monthly to create a slush fund that we either use to maintain the board, give to a charity of choice, fund an audio project or just use to buy some beers, hang out and have fun!

Yes I do agree, and I am quite willing to pledge an annual amount. There is much talk about charity and I for one work with one. This is one issue I'm quite willing to pursue but there has to be some governance as far as where and how funds should be applied. How is Wiredstate organized anyway? Obviously there is a large community, but is there a governing body which looks into ethical and financial issues? Is there a formal organization? Are there any guiding principles. I for one am keen on supporting some of our Filipino Audio Artisans.

Also I do agree with the pricing issue as mentioned earlier. I wish though that there is a certain code of ethics to which we could refer to in case of violation.
Amplifine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:23 pm

wiredstate is a public community but privately owned. i don't want to make this a complicated org with governance, committee and all. in a way it is a "self governing" and "self moderating" (eg. moderators are volunteers/or are volunteered) virtual community... most folks converge here due to a common interest (audio, love of music). i'd rather have folks focus on the hobby than worry about administration. anyway, i don't mind paying for all the bills and keeping the shop in order. it's a good diversion and stress reliever which is not a hassle really. :-)

where help may be needed from time to time is in technical support for upgrades and modifications. i know where to get them but i wish some WS folks can pledge their time helping out....

as for fund raising, a group of folks can volunteer to coordinate this and identify worthwhile projects including support for some forum expenses. this will be done independently of forum administration, very much like sponsoring a TV show, a concert or a charity.

thanks for your willingness to help...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AnalogBuff » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:36 pm

vintage_dog wrote:wiredstate is a public community but privately owned. i don't want to make this a complicated org with governance, committee and all. in a way it is a "self governing" and "self moderating" (eg. moderators are volunteers/or are volunteered) virtual community... most folks converge here due to a common interest (audio, love of music). i'd rather have folks focus on the hobby than worry about administration. anyway, i don't mind paying for all the bills and keeping the shop in order. it's a good diversion and stress reliever which is not a hassle really. :-)

where help may be needed from time to time is in technical support for upgrades and modifications. i know where to get them but i wish some WS folks can pledge their time helping out....

as for fund raising, a group of folks can volunteer to coordinate this and identify worthwhile projects including support for some forum expenses. this will be done independently of forum administration, very much like sponsoring a TV show, a concert or a charity.

thanks for your willingness to help...

Am sure Sir, there are many here who won't mind at all to chip in a little money WS can use for future functions,get together's,shootouts which can really make things interesting for all :)
AnalogBuff

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:43 am

amandarae wrote:Mga bosing, suggestion ko lang. Why don't we have a "Tweak Section" wherein a member/guest can post their tweaks and as a pre-requisite his/her system component where the tweak was applied so it is identifiable (i.e. can be "search" easily) if a speaker, amp, etc. name was typed at the search box.

IMO, it can save time and effort as well as money for someone who wants to try a particular tweak. Besides, it can give guidelines to those of us who are "adventurous" (in otherwords, di mapakali) enough to molest our system components. For the better of course!

Also, posters can help through the discussion in executing a certain project directly in the forum or through PM if they want. In this case, newbies(like myself) does not get confuse from bordbardment of overwhelming "do this or do that first" which certainly leds to blurring the real intent of the project. Ala one-on-one ba!

Of course the forum not only covers electronic tweaks but also cables, room, isolation, etc. but limit it to audio or else pati pinakamurang bilihan ng suka masasama pa.

Wala lang, but I think a section like this has a purpose. But of course, if it is not appropriate, so be it.

tenk yu

abe, thanks for your input. actually sometime last year, we had a dedicated tweaks forum. it was inactive after awhile and folks suggested we just combine it under general audio.

please continue to post those tweaks and if there is a critical mass, we may consider re-opening the thread.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby conspicuous » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:13 am

would it be possible to systematize the equipment review section? what i mean is to make it like www.audioreview.com or www.ecoustics.com style but only for the equipment review. i think this might take some work by the admin though. but in the end members can then search equipment and then see the reviews with data such as:
> overall rating (out of 5)
> value rating (out of 5)
> who the reviewer was
> how much bought, where, used or new?
> product model year
> summary of review
> strenghts
> weaknesses
> etc.

when the ws member wants to make an equipment review they are automatically put into this template and then the software automatically calculates an average rating for multiple member reviews of a specific piece of equipt.

i think this is a lot of work but it's just a thought. :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:33 am

I'm not sure if this has mentioned na... in audioasylum, threads can be displayed by subject or the whole body/text on one page, am not sure how the replies are called :P, anyway... dito kasi po sa WS, by page ang display. Sana pwede na ding magdisplay ng thread [with text/body] in one page dito :D Yun lang po :D

Mabuhay!
dogears
Master
Master

Prices included, tweaks

Postby strings » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:59 am

Yes, I agree that prices for buy & sell items should be included. It makes it simpler too. Some of us have slow dial-up connections and seeing "send pm for price" is a downer.

A tweaks forum is a good idea. I think what should get this off are classic tweaks through the years that newbies would appreciate. This would be like a reference page for simple things that have been done or can be done to improve one's system or listening. e.g. tiptoes - what it does and how to do it. Or what it doesn't do. Some of us might take these tweaks for granted but can be of big help to newbies. This would also help clear up audio myths. Or generate more?

For those of us outside of Manila having limited choices and exposure to audio equipment & software, what we read at WS becomes our reference. Which makes the reviews very valuable. If and when we do buy from other WS members, we rely on what we read here, trust, and blind faith..., you know.
strings
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:31 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
RU9 wrote:Enforce the price rule in all the sellers' forum, not only in the buy and sell section.

agree. all dealers, please take note!

Fully Compliant from day 1 :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby levi » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:16 pm

How about making the date within the present day in bold letters. Its easier to see recent post.
levi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby handyboy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:36 am

In our home page...we have a window that indicates who are online, browsing, lurking. Sometimes i would like to send an instant message to a fellow wiredstate who is online....sending pm kase is not that instant...somehting like a yahoo messenger or msn messenger type of thing...do you think thats possible? :?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby audiophyte » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:38 am

this is a reputable pinoy audio community web site that mostly deals with audio discussions...why not install an audiophile welcome music when you log on? specially when someone here wants to promote an album, so the welcome music changes every now and then. just a suggestion though...
audiophyte
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BenC » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:33 am

Francis,

Is it possible to add a "Search Window" similar to the Audio Asylum?

Cheers,
BenC
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby garp » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:10 pm

My suggestion is to add a search function for an exact phrase. Much like how google does it when you enclose the phrase in quotes. Inserting "and" between the keywords does not work the same way.

Also, I think it would be nice to have search function for keywords appearing in the thread title only. Currently its either title and message text or just message text only.
garp
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Instead of a "view posts since last visit," can we have a function whereby we specify what date posts we are interested in seeing.

It often happens to me that I'd go to the "view posts since last visits" then as I open and close new windows for threads I'd like to read, I accidentally close the "view posts since last visit" window...then I end up not reading posts that otherwise may have interested me.

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:54 pm

Is it possible to separate the Buy and Sell Section as it is clogging the topics and posts from the regular forums. When you open the lastest posts the dominant Buy and Sell section practically occupies the entire space on latest posts
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:01 pm

We can improve WS by banning the one who posted before me. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

PreviousNext

Return to HEAR YE, HEAR YE