How Pinoydiophiles really got started...

NEWS, Announcements, Greetings, Schedules, EBs, listening sessions, lectures, shoot-outs, field trips, gimmicks, etc. for WS members only...

Moderators: vintage_dog, audiostar

How Pinoydiophiles really got started...

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:26 am

hi russel, tell us the story please for all to know...

--the vision...the strategy...(sounds like a corp review) :)

you're the MAN! 8)
Last edited by vintage_dog on Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:52 am

I think it was when 2-channel enthusiasts started posting at "PinoyDVD". King Russel then "pirated" :lol: these individuals to post at the newly constructed "Pinoydiophiles" kingdom at Yahoo. :)

Tama ba :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:55 am

Here'e the very first post at Yahoogroups...

Date: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:44 pm
Subject: Welcome

Dear All,

Welcome to Pinoydiophiles, a discussion forum where Philippine-based
stereophiles can come together, exchange ideas, and have fun.

This forum is very liberal in that as list ownre/administrator did
not put in any membership rules or censorship abilities. I trust
that as fellow members, we will act appropriately to keep this forum
a fun one to be in.

So do post questions, reviews, interesting stories on anything stereo-
related. Also invite other friends with similar interests to join us.

--Russell

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:58 am

i should thank dexterc who was posting at esato.com who invited me to pinoydvd. then from pinoydvd, russel pointed me to pinoydiophiles. :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby johnmarc0 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:01 pm

I owe my membership to Racio, I got out of audio for almost three years na though I still occasionally buy LPs then Racio got into the hobby and dragged me back to the whole thing. I found the threads back then pretty engaging, then one day Rajan suggested that we meet and teach everyone the science of audio (not the art di pwede ituro yun). So I volunteered to conduct the sessions, Mickey volunteered his place, toobs his wisdom and gear.

One of the most fiesty person I met there was Mickey, the Tamura galore designer, toobs the rare part collector/designer and the greenhorn designer now known as ArnoldC :twisted: . Now ArnoldC even argues with design points on an amp, whattaguy! You should have heard the shouting matches regarding the 10K amp. Arnold maintained the soul and integrity of the objectives of that amp.

Then VD came into the picture, gave the group new perspective, choobs had his famous voigt sessions but most of all I pay homage to Russel, who initiated this whole thing.

Cheers

JM
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:13 pm

johnmarc0 wrote: but most of all I pay homage to Russel, who initiated this whole thing.

Tama :!: Si Russel may kasalanan ng lahat :!: :evil:

Hats off to you King Russel :!: :)

For that achievement, mag Blow-Out si King Russel :!: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

How Pinoydiophiles Started...

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:03 am

My audiophile life was quite lonely the first 5-6 years (I started in the mid-90's). The closest thing I had to audio cuckoo company were the Brit rags Hi-Fi Choice and What! Hi-Fi.

Things took a turn when I discovered the Internet. From there, I discovered sites like Home Theater Forum and of course, Audio Asylum. I was the quitessential lurker then. From out of the blue, my wife suddenly gave me a Sonus Faber Concertino for my birthday (or was it Christmas? or both!).

I knew it was something special and I never even dreamed about owning one (I was saving up for a KEF Coda 7!). But when my Tinos were home, I started a quest for making the most of it. If you have a Sonus and are an Audio Asylum inmate, you probably have reading comprehension problems if you don't bump across this feisty, opinionated, utterly subjective guy who goes by the monicker Hyperion. :D

When I found out Hyperion was Pinoy, I started having visions (or was it illusions?) of a grand Filipino (and Philippine-based) audiophile community where people can talk about, listen to, and learn from each other especially about the things peculiar to Philippine audiophilia such as the gear and music available here, the folks we can easily get in touch with for set-up tips and tweaks, etc.

I was hitting blanks though. Aside from Hyperion, I only remember FrancisS as the other Pinoy on AA. I recall some posts about foreigners visiting Manila and asking about audiophilic must visits but I can't even make 5 Pinoy audiophiles.

Then I found PinoyDVD in mid 2001 after Googling for my dream Pinoy audiophile community. I must admit it was extremely interesting at the start as people started to share their experiences, listening notes, etc.

I know some PinoyDVD mods are on Pinoydiophiles so please don't take what I'm about to say as bashing. Perhaps better to look at this as a critique to make the HT and audio community better. Here goes:

But then PinoyDVD got filled with volumes of inquiries about my favorite (to diss) Home Theater In a Box and worse, those PhP5k 5-channel amps at Quiapo. Not that I had anything against cheap gear. In fact, those HTIAB's prices can get you a pretty decent 2 channel or even 5 channel rig.

So that led me to look for PinoyDVDers who I felt were actually serious about their sound. I set up a Yahoo! groups and invited folks like MShoeMaker, Racio (long time no post, bud, how are you?), etc. I also continued looking for Pinoys in other audio forums like Rajan from Headfi and Headwize.

Those early Pinoydiophiles never left the forums I "recruited" them from though and continued to share good, solid insights and knowledge for members in those other forums to read. I think this built Pinoydiophile's credential immensely.

Some critical mass of membership and activities was reached. Crucial turning points were those first sessions at Racio's that led to sessions at JM's, Ike's, etc. Likewise crucial were those visits to Rene's place and the other stores like Sonny Tuazon's or the launches at AVDI where Pinoydiophiles built relationships with other folks who share the same interests.

I think one of the most crucial breaks Pinoydiophile got was when the DIY community started getting active in the forums. This opened a whole new world. And I guess with this, I can say, the rest, is history.

I gotta go for now but I'll come back to this thread once in a while as I remember more historic tidbits and in an effort to articulate some form of vision and perhaps core values for Pinoydiophiles. All Pinoydiophiles are welcome to contribute to this exercise as I may have started Pinoydiophiles but what Pinoydiophiles is today is completely all you Pinoydiophile's doing.

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:32 am

i had a couple of invites from russ when i was lurking at pinoydvd, but at that time i was preoccupied restoring my vintage amps...it was racio who persuaded me to join the forums at yahoo....then there were the sessions at ike's, mickey, and jm's...the rest is history!

long live pinoydiophiles!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:46 pm

Pinoydiophiles on Yahoo! Groups was founded in April 12, 2002.

Our first members were:

rtsyrtsy
arnlagazon
biggs
iceman_ph
xnautilus1
meowpao
ace
dinolara1
anali_mapa
allan_1031
oliverroque@yahoo.com
jhundv_y@yahoo.com
venturevul
marvinvald
janvin2000
headmis
mixmartinez420
bluechopin
rajanf3
frankmorales56
sonus100
jr-tlr
corrsty
chinsar888
fsogono
dogears68
d0ubletap
pop4ever
lkgatuslao
rtsyrtsy

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:30 pm

Trailblazer :!: :) That was what King Russel was :!: :)

PinoyDVD was more for the 5.1, 6.1, 7.1........100.10 crowd. When everybody was discussing how many channels their AVRs had, here was Russel asking about 2-channel stuff and tubes. :D :D Astig talaga oh. :lol:

Ginaya ko tuloy si King Russel :) , when everybody was discussing about DVD and their "hi-tech" front-ends, I then started the "Turntable" topic. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:43 am

nakaka-singhot :cry:

i knew about the forum from superman when we met in sonny tuazon's shop... years ago, i'd regularly drop by stores shops where chances are some 'guys of the same feather' would flock together... met a few interesting conversationalist, others are just talkers.

this forum was a welcome one for me as i had a chance to 'meet', talk, and acquire more knowledge about the thing we love - music & stuffs... is it a 'guy-thing'?... i suppose most of the time.

thanks, guys!

stay hot!
egay
8)
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Re: How Pinoydiophiles Started...

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:34 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Those early Pinoydiophiles never left the forums I "recruited" them from though and continued to share good, solid insights and knowledge for members in those other forums to read. I think this built Pinoydiophile's credential immensely.

....... and the migration to Pinoydiophiles / Wiredstate continues. :)

King Russel's "Strategic Intent" is to convert music loving folks, as well as video buffs to 2-channel addicts :!: :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby FASTBACK » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:44 am

I saw a thread at pinoydvd inviting people here @ wiredstate, so I followed but it took me awhile to seriously go into tubes.

But I'm happy now, learning a great deal and hope to learn more along the way of meeting people here.

Thanks
FASTBACK
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Masters Arnold and Grant, whom I both met in Esato, were the ones who invited me to join WS. Like many, I was a lurker for the longest time. :)
keith
walastick

BELATED 3rd ANNIVERSARY WIREDSTATE PINOYDIOPHILES

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:09 pm

April 11, 2002 nga pala yung first ever message sa Yahoo! groups version ng Pinoydiophiles.

3 years old na tayo! More importantly, we're now 1,834 members.

Kailan kaya natin ma-bre-break yung 2,000 mark?

Any suggestions how else we can grow our little community here?
rtsyrtsy

Postby johnmarc0 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:16 pm

putcha dami na!
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby don » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:42 pm

Thank you guys to this informative and fun site.Just learned about this site recently from a guy named Alex (from GE) whom I had a nice talk with while acquiring my first tube amp, integrated push pull KT88 from AMX.There are lots of inputs to be learned from this tube gurus.Sana marami pa magoffer ng mga gud vintage tube amps sa marketplace...Gudlak and more success! :)

(BTW, any feedback about the AMX tube products,performance and quality-wise?
don
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bridgebolt » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:00 pm

pag ilan kaya ako?
bridgebolt
Citizen
Citizen

Postby newtube » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:56 pm

I bought a Lincoln Mayorga/Amanda McBroom Sheffield album from a set of LPs from a neighbor and surprise surprise I found this Audiolite 6-page newsletter tucked inside the foam backing.

A little bit uncanny that this was published exactly 17 years ago in the month of November & comes at the heels of this weekend's Hi_fi Show. Must be something about this month that makes audiophiles extra giddy. A good read and you just realize that some things never change regardless of personalities or gear - the never ending search for audio paradise!

If anyone is interested to be a gatekeeper or archivist for these artifacts, let me know so I can bring this copy to this weekend's Hi-Fi show.

Good luck to the organizers; and no coup can stop you guys!

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
newtube
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:58 pm

newtube. i'd like to keep that document.
thanks for sharing.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to HEAR YE, HEAR YE