Recordings and their stories

Moderators: Jon Agner, bb3

Re: Recordings and their stories

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Yup, backmasking was pretty much a topic back in High School. :) Hotel California is the favorite example. :)

I was told many, many years ago that the Beatles, particularly John Lennon, normally does back masking of their recorded music in order to create a new composition :?: :?: :?:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby bb3 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

bayonic wrote:Image

John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic

- - - this is Traffic's version of a traditional English folksong. It appeared on their 3rd album and it's also the title song.
with Dave Mason leaving the group for a solo career, it was back to the core trio of Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood.

when I first heard this song on the radio many many years back ... I was struck with what would seem the brutal torture and horrific murder of " John Barleycorn " .
thanks to the internet ( Wikipedia ) , I've since learned that the character of John Barleycorn in the song is a personification of the important cereal crop barley, and of the alcoholic beverages made from it, beer and whisky. In the song, John Barleycorn is represented as suffering attacks, death, and indignities that correspond to the various stages of barley cultivation, such as reaping and malting.

:beer:

CHEERS !!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

bayonic,
we seem to be on the same wavelength again my friend.
john barleycorn, together with the early mark-almond lps introduced me to a then eclectic genre called jazz/rock fusion.
amidst all the guitar rock riffs of the early 70's, jazz/rock was a welcome respite.
just listen to "glad" or "freedom rider" and and i guess you'll know what i mean.

traffic was never considered a "supergroup" like cream or the stones, but one cannot deny that having the combined talents of mason, capaldi, wood, and winwood make like a fusion counterpart of mayall's bluesbreakers.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rvc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:27 am

boy,
-
traffic - low spark of high-heeled boys (tama ba title?) - need i say more?
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:50 am

rvc wrote:boy,
-
traffic - low spark of high-heeled boys (tama ba title?) - need i say more?

If you see something that looks like a star,
And it's shooting up out of the ground,
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar,
And you just can't escape from the sound,
Don't worry too much, it'll happen to you,
We were children once, playing with toys.
And the thing that you're hearing is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys...

:)
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bayonic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:42 pm

two tracks from The Buggles 1980 debut album " The Age Of Plastic "

Clean Clean

and their greatest hit
Video Killed The Radio Star

the music video of this song was the first ever music video aired on MTV when the all-music video tv channel debuted on August 1,1981.
the song itself was written in the summer of 1979 with Tina Charles contributing the background vocals.
Buggles was composed of Trevor Horn, Geoffrey Downes and Bruce Wooley.
The duo of Horn and Downes went on to join progressive rock band Yes, as replacements for vocalist Jon Anderson and keyboardist Rick Wakeman.
Horn eventually gained success as a record producer earning several Brit Awards for Best producer and a Grammy for producing Seal's Kiss From A Rose.
He also co-founded the ZTT label ; responsible for such acts as Propaganda, Frankie Goes To Hollywood , Art Of Noise , Seal and Lisa Stansfield.

Downes went on to form super-group Asia with ex-members of YES, Emerson Lake and Palmer and King Crimson.

Wooley formed The Camera Club with a young Thomas Dolby on keyboards.
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bayonic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:48 pm

from the 1977 album " The Stranger " ...

VIENNA

- a truly under-rated gem.
- the song is about Billy's trip to Vienna to visit his father who he hasn't seen in 16 years.
- while in Vienna ,he was walking around and saw an old lady. She must have been about 90 years old and she was sweeping the street.
- He asked his father "What's this nice old lady doing sweeping the street?" He says "She's got a job, she feels useful, she's happy, she's making the street clean, she's not put out to pasture".
- "We treat old people in this country pretty badly. We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought "
- This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age.
- And that's where he got the idea for Vienna...Your whole life waits for you.."Vienna waits for you..."

. . . info from Wikipedia

Slow down you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart tell me why
Are you still so afraid?
Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out
You got so much to do and only
So many hours in a day

But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want
Or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
When will you realize...Vienna waits for you

Slow down you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be
Before your time
Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight (tonight)
Too bad but it's the life you lead
You're so ahead of yourself
That you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong
You know you can't always see when you're right(you're right)

You got your passion you got your pride
But don't you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on but don't imagine they'll all come true
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

Slow down you crazy child
Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
It's alright you can afford to lose a day or two
When will you realize...
Vienna waits for you.

And you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want
Or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through

Why don't you realize...Vienna waits for you
When will you realize...Vienna waits for you

bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: patti boyd harrison/clapton

Postby bb3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:28 am

bb3 wrote:any dyed-in-the-wool rocker is familiar with derek (eric clapton) and the dominoes' "layla", one of the greatest rock songs by one of the greatest rock artists/giutarist of our time. and i guess a lot of you rockers out there know the story behind the song. here's alittle additional info i dug out.

Patti Boyd

layla as we now know is/was patti boyd harrison. clapton had this deep "crush" on his best friend's (george harrison) wife but could only express it through song, thus the "birth" of layla. when george started having flings with the "apple scruffs", groupies that used to hang around abbey road studios, patti started making passes at clapton to make george jealous. this, together with george's substance abuse was the reason for the end of the coouples' marriage.

patti eventually ended up with clapton several years after (george even attended the wedding) but the same round of "women and drugs" also rocked and ended this second marriage

patti is now a prof photographer and is very respected in the music world for not selling her extraordinary story.

Layla
by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon

What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

I tried to give you consolation
When your old man had let you down.
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned my whole world upside down.

Chorus

Let's make the best of the situation
Before I finally go insane.
Please don't say we'll never find a way
And tell me all my love's in vain.

Chorus

Five year old post.
But the story of rock's most famous love triangle never ceases to amaze me.

Clapton / Boyd / Harrison

More interesting tidbits of this love story:

London's Daily Mail interviewed Boyd and excerpted passages from her new autobiography, "Wonderful Today," in which she reveals what had the two men "on their knees, beggin' darlin' please."
"We met secretly at a flat in South Kensington," she said. "Eric had asked me to come because he wanted me to listen to a new number he had written.
He switched on the tape machine, turned up the volume and played me the most powerful, moving song I had ever heard.
It was 'Layla.' "
"My first thought was, 'Oh, God, everyone's going to know this is about me,' " Boyd said.
"Layla" was the second song written for Boyd. Harrison had penned "Something," his smash hit from the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album in 1969.
Then after stealing her away from Harrison, Clapton wrote "Wonderful Tonight" about Boyd in 1977.
The same night she heard "Layla" for the first time, Boyd, Harrison and Clapton were all at a party at the home of pop entrepreneur Robert Stigwood, who managed Clapton's group Cream and the Bee Gees.
Harrison "kept asking, 'Where's Pattie? But no one seemed to know. He was about to leave when he spotted me in the garden with Eric."
"George came over and demanded, 'What's going on?' To my horror, Eric said, 'I have to tell you, man, that I'm in love with your wife.'
"I wanted to die. George was furious. He turned to me and said: 'Well, are you going with him or coming with me?' "
She went home with Harrison, but Clapton kept pursuing her.
At one point, Clapton, drunk on brandy, arrived at their house, and Harrison decided to have a duel for Boyd's love.
"George handed him a guitar and an amp - as an 18th-century gentleman might have handed his rival a sword - and for two hours, without a word, they dueled."
"At the end, nothing was said but the general feeling was that Eric had won. He hadn't allowed himself to get riled or go in for instrumental gymnastics as George had. Even when he was drunk, his guitar-playing was unbeatable."

Fast-forward four decades later.

I think I'll miss George for the rest of my life. I would have incredibly vivid dreams that he was alive. Then I would wake up and the reality would wash over me.
I regret allowing myself to be seduced by Eric and wish I had been stronger. I believed marriage was for ever, and when things were going wrong between George and me I should have gritted my teeth and worked through them.
And I wish I'd known I didn't have to be a doormat and allow both husbands to be so flagrantly faithless.
But if I had resisted Eric, I would never have known that incredible passion. I would never have been the inspiration for those beautiful songs Layla and Wonderful Tonight.
I accept that I paid a high price, but it was in proportion to the depth of the love he and I shared. I loved George deeply, too, but we were younger and it was a gentler love.
I don't regret leaving Eric. All I regret is that I had to. It was painful beyond belief, but if I had stayed, Eric might have drunk himself to death.
In October 2006, Bill Wyman was 70. He had a huge party at Ronnie Scott's and he took over the club. It was full of faces from the Sixties: all were friends, all looked as fabulous as they had 50 years ago.
Given my life over again, I wouldn't change anything.
I loved everything that went with rock 'n' roll. I loved being at the heart of such creativity and being young in such an exciting era. I have known some amazing people and had some unforgettable experiences.
Our generation really did lead a revolution: as teenagers we refused to conform and we're still refusing to do what's expected of us, still breaking the mould, still doing everything it takes to keep age at bay.
One day we might have to give in to sensible shoes - but don't hold your breath.

-Patti Boyd
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re:

Postby bayonic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 pm

bayonic wrote:another big composition by Joni was " Woodstock " .

Ironically , she did not even get to perform in Woodstock not until the 30th anniversary / commemoration concert called A Day In The Garden in 1998.

Joni wrote the song while stuck in a New York hotel room and watching the TV for news about the big event. She did not go to Woodstock fearing that she won't make it to a previously scheduled appearance on the Richard Cavett show.
As luck would have it, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (who did play Woodstock and who later had a big hit with Joni's song ) got back to New York in time to appear on the same show. Mitchell describes being devastated at missing such an important cultural event.

"They showed up raving about it, which was really like salt in the wound. When I see the clips [from 'Woodstock'], I can almost see myself [crying] -- on camera and all that. Cause to be young then and to have missed that, even though it was that close, that was everything to me."

"But I guess it was meant for a reason," she continued, "and because I couldn't go, [Woodstock] dominated my mind. I watched everything on TV, I just sat in front of the TV and wrote most of the song in the first few days of the festival, and it was done by Sunday night."

another 5-year-old and fast-forward-4-decades-later post

uploaded this video footage of Joni Mitchell appearing on the Dick Cavett show, along with Stephen Stills and David Crosby who just arrived from Woodstock. At that show, Joni handed the demo tape of the song she has just written about the festival to Stills who was still bathing in the Woodstock afterglow and still had Woodstock mud on his jeans. He was also wearing the same poncho he wore while performing at the concert.
David Crosby described the concert scene when viewed from a helicopter as .... "an encampment of the Macedonian Army ... crossed with the biggest batch of Gypsies you ever saw "

bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bayonic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Looking For Jack - Colin James Hay

Colin James Hay formerly of the Aussie superband Men At Work describes the story behind the title track of his 1987 solo album.

Watching a gig, he saw Jack Nicholson standing by the mixing desk. He walked over and told Jack what a big fan he was of his work. Jack replied "I can't hear you!" Later in the green room, Jack walked in while Colin was talking to a few pretty girls and said "I'm a big fan of yours, too," and walked out. Colin spent the next while looking over the girls' shoulders. One of them asked "what are you looking for?" He replied "I'm looking for Jack." She responded with "Everyone's always looking for Jack." With this statement, Colin realised that that was to be the title of the unfinished song he was writing.
from WikiPedia

"Everybody’s always looking for Jack
In the fire and in the water
Everybody’s always looking for Jack
In the streets and on the corners

I always wanted to be like Jack
He’s as cool as they come
Yeah I always wanted to be like Jack
Still for me, he’s the one

Someday...Someday... "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2oliVfDZ8

bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby merlin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Wooley formed The Camera Club with a young Thomas Dolby on keyboards.[/quote]

This is why the song "Video killed the radio star" was also featured in Bruce Wooley & the Camera Club album. Now I know which came first..
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby zepol » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 am

Karapatang Pantao
Ni Carlo Aristotle Remollino

ANG KARAPATANG Pantao ay isang compilation mula sa mga magagaling na mang-aawit na pinagtipon-tipon ni Ed Formoso. Ang layunin ng album na ito ay upang ipahayag ang pagsang-ayon ng mga nagsilahok sa tema-na siyang naging pangalan na rin ng album-ng karapatang pantao.

Ang compilation na ito ay binuo nung 1989. Isa-isang inimbitahan ni Ed Formoso ang mga mang-aawit, tulad ng mga batikang sina Heber Bartolome, Joey Ayala, at Jess Santiago, pati na rin ang mga baguhan noon tulad ng The Hay'p, The Next, at The Wuds.

Ang bawat grupo na tumugtog ay may kani-kaniyang pamamaraan ng paglalahad, maging ito man ay punk, folk, Pinoy Rock, o classical. Ang bawat banda ay hindi nagkulang sa mga mensaheng nais ipahayag.

Ang album na ito, sa kalakihan, ay nagbibigay ng nakalulungkot at nakagagalit na pakiramdam sa nakikinig, at ito'y hindi nakapagtataka sapagkat karamihan sa mga kanta ay may tema tungkol sa paglabag sa karapatang pantao.

Mapapansin na ang mga bersiyon ng mga kantang "Ikaw na May Baril" ni Joey Ayala at "Tatsulok" ng Buklod sa album na ito ay mas malakas tumama kaysa sa mga orihinal na bersiyon.

Ngunit, kahit na ang kalakihan ng album na ito ay nakakalungkot o nakagagalit, hindi rin naman mawawala ang mga awiting nakakatawa tulad ng "Pinggan" ni Pol Galang, ang mga nakagigising na "Attorney Akupado" ni Bosyo (Edmund Fortuno, SLN) at "Paaralan" ni Heber Bartolome, pati na rin ang nagbibigay-lakas-loob na "Bayan Naming Minamahal" ng Patatag.

Ang Karapatang Pantao ay isang makabuluhang album—noon at lalo na ngayon. Ang mga awiting natatampok dito ay sumasalamin sa pangyayari noong 1989, nang ilabas ito—at lalo na sa kasalukuyang panahon.
zepol
Citizen
Citizen

Re:

Postby faux_ph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 pm

arnoldc wrote:did you know that some people misheard Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze lyrics?

they thought Jimi said "and i kiss this guy" :twisted: when he actually said "and i kiss the sky"

bwahahahaha

If I'm not mistaken, there is actually a recording of a live concert of Jimi Hendrix that he intentionally said "Excuse me while I kiss THAT GUY!". IN lieu of the original "Excuse me while I kiss the sky!"
faux_ph

Postby Quiel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:59 am

Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby makinao » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 pm

makinao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BongSantos11 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 am

SEVERAL YEARS AGO, MICHAEL BOLTON WAS SUED ALLEGEDLY FOR COPYING "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU", A SONG HE COMPOSED WITH DOUG JAMES FOR LAURA BRANIGAN. IN HIS DEFENSE, HE LITERALLY SANG HIS WAY OUT OF THE COURT ARGUING THAT MOST SONGS ARE SIMILAR TO EACH OTHER. CITING AS EXAMPLE, HE SANG FIRST THE CHORUS OF "HOW AM I..." (the part "tell me how am I supposed to live without you") then ARTHUR'S THEME (Best That You Can Do) written by by CHRISTOPHER CROSS, CAROLE BAYER-SAGER, BURT BACHARACH & PETER ALLEN (the part "If you get caught between the moon and New York City"), then SUPERSTAR by BONNIE BRAMLETT & LEON RUSSELL (the part "Don't you remember you told me you love me, baby"). What do you think if you were one of the jury?
BongSantos11
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bayonic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:52 am

... i miss this thread ...

i think i saw the movie "American Werewolf In London" (1981) before hearing the song "Werewolves Of London" ( 1978 ) by Warren Zevon ... and for some reason, I have always thought that the song was about shape-shifting mythological creatures prowling the streets of the English capital.

" Back in the early 70's Warren Zevon used to be the bandleader for The Everly Brothers and Phil Everly came up with the song title "Werewolves Of London" .
Zevon wrote this with guitarist Robert "Waddy" Wachtel. When Zevon was working with The Everly Brothers, he hired Wachtel to play in their backing band. At one point, Phil Everly asked them to write a dance song for the Everly Brothers called "Werewolves Of London." Wachtel and Zevon were good friends and were strumming guitars together when someone asked what they were playing. Zevon replied, "Werewolves Of London," and Wachtel started howling. Zevon came up with the line "I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand," and they traded lyrics back and forth until they had their song. " - from warrenzevon.com

The song was produced by Jackson Browne who was also instrumental in getting WZ signed up by Geffen Records.

The song sounds a lot like Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd ... and Kid Rock actually sampled the two songs on his hit "All Summer Long".

Warren Zevon died of lung cancer in 2003.

and what is the song ... really all about ?

" I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein
Werewolves of London

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again
Werewolves of London

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Werewolves of London

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
Werewolves of London
Draw blood "

from a Jackson Browne interview :
It's about a really well-dressed, ladies' man, a werewolf preying on little old ladies. In a way, it's the Victorian nightmare, the gigolo thing. The idea behind all of those references is the idea of the ne'er-do-well who devotes his life to pleasure: the debauched Victorian gentleman in gambling clubs, consorting with prostitutes; the aristocrat who squanders the family fortune. All of that is secreted away in that one line: "I'd like to meet his tailor."

or it could just be a songwriter goofing off. :)

bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re:

Postby bb3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 pm

bb3 wrote:yup. when jeff baxter officially joined (he did guest on the previous "what were once vices" album) the doobies for their 1975 album, "stampede", i think he invited co-steely dan alumnus michael, to do the supporting album tour since tom johnstone was suffering for an ailment then

bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ferdit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Wouldn't it be Nice by the Beach Boys - a video detailing the creative process behind "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from The Beach Boys' 1966 Album "Pet Sounds".

Pet Sounds was ranked number #2 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

I never knew how much and how diverse the instruments used to produce the song. Brian Wilson is a genius and this video shows you how the song was made.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofByti7A4uM[/youtube]
ferdit
Citizen
Citizen

Postby paeng » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I like the covers for Double Decca classical music releases, almost anything from Harmonia Mundi, and several from Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre.
paeng
Citizen
Citizen

Postby O.D. Yeo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 pm

ferdit wrote:Wouldn't it be Nice by the Beach Boys - a video detailing the creative process behind "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from The Beach Boys' 1966 Album "Pet Sounds".

Pet Sounds was ranked number #2 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

I never knew how much and how diverse the instruments used to produce the song. Brian Wilson is a genius and this video shows you how the song was made.

O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Music