Recordings and their stories

Moderators: Jon Agner, bb3

Postby bb3 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 pm

saltuhin wrote:I have a Dione Warwick's Greatest Motion Picture Hits LP and was wondering if she was the original artist for some nice Burt Bacharach and Hal David songs such as; The Look of Love, Alfie, A House is Not a Home etc. or were these just covers.

Hindi pa kasi ako pinapanganak nun.

saltuhin,
yes, ms. warwick was the original artist of those bacharach/david classics.
some consider this triumvirate the golden age of bacharch/david/warwick when these three artists complimented each other so well- a great vocalist, a fantastic lyricist and of course the musical genius that bacharach was. in the process they made each other famous.

unfortunately, there was a falling out some years later between warwick and bacharach/david.
and although they still continued with moderate success, they did not have the impact they collectively imparted during their golden age.

take a peek and listen to why this is so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht25gK5T ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wby9ntdY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTV6QnPM ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsUuZMp ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLtzF49 ... re=related
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby saltuhin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 pm

saltuhin,
some consider this triumvirate the golden age of bacharch/david/warwick when these three artists complimented each other so well- a great vocalist, a fantastic lyricist and of course the musical genius that bacharach was. in the process they made each other famous.

sir boy,

thanks for that nice bit of information. when i first listened to it, it was nice and got me asking. kasi there are lots of artists who did covers of those songs.
saltuhin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Stereophile magazine did an article on Burt Bacharach years back. Dione's surname is suppose to spell "Warrick" but due to a misprint in the label, her name became "Warwick"
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby bb3 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Stereophile magazine did an article on Burt Bacharach years back. Dione's surname is suppose to spell "Warrick" but due to a misprint in the label, her name became "Warwick"

you're right jon.
and in the early 70's she added an "e" at the end of warwick. she subsequently drodded the "e" nung 80's yata.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm

saltuhin wrote:thanks for that nice bit of information. when i first listened to it, it was nice and got me asking. kasi there are lots of artists who did covers of those songs.

bacharach/david are our modern day mozarts. they are the porters and gershwins of our time.
"i say a little prayer", "alfie", and other bacaharach compositions will someday go toe to toe with "i've got a crush on you", embraceable you" and other standards which we now consider classics.

as you mentioned, a lot of arists recorded their versions of these songs.
Alfie has been covered by streisand, vikki carr, sarah vaughn, cillia black, andy williams, stevie wonder, jerry butler, etc..

Walk On By has crossed over genres as often as our politicians crossover political parties:
averasge white band - funk/reggae
cyndi lauper - pop
issac hayes - 70's r&b
little anthony and the imperials- 60 r&b
stranglers - new wave
el michels affair -electronica
jo jo zep and the falcons - rock
mithch ryder - 60 rock
cockeyed ghost - metal
youngs - art rock
beach boys
carnival - bossa nova
spiral starecase
gabor szabo
cal tjader
mel torme

and the list goes on and on.
not bad for a song just penned in the 60's.
for in the time line of music, baby pa lang siya.

cheers
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

bb3 wrote:
saltuhin wrote:I have a Dione Warwick's Greatest Motion Picture Hits LP and was wondering if she was the original artist for some nice Burt Bacharach and Hal David songs such as; The Look of Love, Alfie, A House is Not a Home etc. or were these just covers.

Hindi pa kasi ako pinapanganak nun.

saltuhin,

Let me just make some clarifications. Although most of the songs composed by Burt Bacharach and Hal David were sung by Dionne Warwick, “The Look of Love” was originally performed by Dusty Springfield. Subsequently Dionne also did her version of the song. :)

In the late 50s when the two (Burt and Hal) started their career, their songs were interpreted and performed by various artists such as Marty Robbins (“The Story of My Life” – Columbia Records), Perry Como (“Magic Moments” – RCA Records), Johnny Mathis (“Heavenly” and “Faithfully”). :)

Dionne came in the early 60s and her collaboration with the two produced popular hits between the 1960s and 1970s

Dionne Warwick, a conservatory-trained vocalist whom the duo met in 1961, began working for the duo when they needed a good singer to ‘demo’ their songs properly for other artists. But more often than not, Dionne’s demos were far better than the quality of the performances others were recording. :wink:

Cheers :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby saltuhin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:21 pm

audiostar wrote:
Let me just make some clarifications. Although most of the songs composed by Burt Bacharach and Hal David were sung by Dionne Warwick, “The Look of Love” was originally performed by Dusty Springfield. Subsequently Dionne also did her version of the song. :)

In the late 50s when the two (Burt and Hal) started their career, their songs were interpreted and performed by various artists such as Marty Robbins (“The Story of My Life” – Columbia Records), Perry Como (“Magic Moments” – RCA Records), Johnny Mathis (“Heavenly” and “Faithfully”). :)

Dionne came in the early 60s and her collaboration with the two produced popular hits between the 1960s and 1970s

Dionne Warwick, a conservatory-trained vocalist whom the duo met in 1961, began working for the duo when they needed a good singer to ‘demo’ their songs properly for other artists. But more often than not, Dionne’s demos were far better than the quality of the performances others were recording. :wink:

Cheers :)

Thanks for clarifying sir Val. Meron na naman ako idadagdag sa mga kwento ko when I play this album. :D
saltuhin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bb3 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 pm

still testing.

if this gets through, it means i can only post a reply and cant start a new topic.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Stereophile magazine did an article on Burt Bacharach years back. Dione's surname is suppose to spell "Warrick" but due to a misprint in the label, her name became "Warwick"

An interesting example of reverse American English and spelling :D
Warwick is pronouced "Warrick".

I think it is also a male name but not sure how it is spelt as a name.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby bayonic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:44 pm

on Tom Wait's 1999 studio album Mule Variations, there is a track titled " FILIPINO BOX SPRING HOG "

the song was co-written by his wife ... and this is how the song came about :

Tom Waits (1998): "In my old neighbourhood we used to have rent parties- if you couldn't make the rent. So they'd have a big festival out in the alley and cook a pig and invite a lot of people and charge them money of course - but most people brought something too. So they'd dig a big pit and then cook a big pig and there's like 200 people there and they're out in the alley. But I was staying in this place where I had a mean landlord and everybody hated the landlord and we were gonna have the - wasn't any point in having the rent party cause you'd already been evicted and so somebody got the idea that we' d have this big barbecue - we'd have it in the house. So they sawed all the floorboards out of the living room and dug a hole in the living room and put the box springs of a mattress down there and underneath the box springs there was a lot of madrone and eucalyptus and then we put the pig on top of the box springs and we had this big barbecue. It was memorable, everybody'd still talking about it - so anyway, this is about that... "

Last edited by bayonic on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 pm

good story bayonic now i am hungry again! :D
pigdog
Master
Master

Ray Charles "what'd i say"

Postby pigdog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:50 pm

"What'd I Say" or "What I Say" is a two-part recording that was released in 1959 by R&B/soul singer-songwriter Ray Charles. It was ranked at #10 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
According to Charles, while performing at a Milwaukee nightclub, he had performed the last song of his set, "Night Time Is the Right Time", when he was informed that there was another twelve minutes left in the show. Charles decided to fill the time by performing an impromptu version of the song that would eventually be recorded as What'd I Say. Charles told his backing band and female background singers, the Raelettes, to "just follow me". The song began on a Latin influenced drum beat and a Wurlitzer electric piano riff before Charles improvised his own lyrics to it.

As the band became more comfortable with the piece, Charles and the Raelettes started an impromptu call and response vocalization. Charles later said that the call and response section was "all about the sounds of making love".

Although the song is usually listed as "What'd I Say", Charles always insisted that the name of the song is "What I Say" as heard on the track.

Executives at Charles' record label, Atlantic Records, expressed concerns that the song was "too risqué" and "too long". Radio station WAOK in Atlanta had recorded the tune as part of the live album Ray Charles in Person and placed their hot exclusive in heavy rotation. It became a hit.

Atlantic was convinced. To remedy the problem of length, in-house studio engineer Tom Dowd split the song into two parts. With Atlantic's backing, the new studio recording of "What'd I Say" was released as a single in the spring of 1959 and soon rose to the top of the charts. The song would peak at #1 on Billboard's R&B singles chart and #6 on the popular charts.
pigdog
Master
Master

Re: Recordings and their stories

Postby fuseboxx » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:18 pm

There's this Swedish sludge-metal band called "Cult of Luna" and they have an album out called "Eternal Kingdom".

Cult of Luna rehearse in an area that was once the site of a long demolished mental institution. Upon moving their practice space to a different spot on the same site, the band uncovered long forgotten relics of the hospital, including old apparatus and medical journals. Amongst the discovery was the diary of Holger Nilsson, a former inmate of the prison placed there after drowning his wife. The diary was titled 'Tales from the Eternal Kingdom'.

Digesting the diary, the band realised that they had stumbled upon the ramblings of a madman. In the diary, Nilsson blamed the death of his wife on the Näcken, a Swedish folk entity believed to be Satan. The diary created a completely imagined world in which owl men and tree men all contributed to a fantasy story that explained why Nilsson was innocent of the crime.

All of the music was written by the band, but the lyrics were taken from the journal of Holger Nilsson.
fuseboxx
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bayonic » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:02 am

what's the difference between FLEETWOOD MAC and ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION ? apparently , it's 11 2/3 RPM :D

in 1977, an FM station accidentally played the ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION album cut " Imaginary Lover " at the wrong speed - 45 RPM. Favorable calls began to light up the switchboard so the disc jockey let it play. Speeded up, the song sounded like FLEETWOOD MAC, with Stevie Nicks warbling vocals.

here's the ARS song at 33 1/3 RPM :

and here's the "STEVIE NICKS version" at 45 RPM :

also ... if you slow-down Stevie Nick's Rhiannon , it will sound like ARS :lol:
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bono vox » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:39 am

^ whooah, nice info! :clap: :clap: :clap:
bono vox
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bayonic » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:44 am

John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic

- - - this is Traffic's version of a traditional English folksong. It appeared on their 3rd album and it's also the title song.
with Dave Mason leaving the group for a solo career, it was back to the core trio of Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood.

when I first heard this song on the radio many many years back ... I was struck with what would seem the brutal torture and horrific murder of " John Barleycorn " .
thanks to the internet ( Wikipedia ) , I've since learned that the character of John Barleycorn in the song is a personification of the important cereal crop barley, and of the alcoholic beverages made from it, beer and whisky. In the song, John Barleycorn is represented as suffering attacks, death, and indignities that correspond to the various stages of barley cultivation, such as reaping and malting.

:beer:

[*]the imeem track is a live version ... tried to upload my track but it was limited to 30 seconds.

[*]Original LP copies of the album had the front cover design on a background consisting of a photograph of burlap. Later LP copies had the design on a gray background.

[*]There are also religious connotations associated with the song ... about how Barleycorn must die so that others may live and the hypocrisy of teetotalers ... but that's a post for another forum.

There were three men came out of the west,
Their fortunes for to try.
And these three men made a solemn vow:
John Barleycorn must die.

They've plowed, they've sown, they've harrowed him in,
Threw clods upon his head.
And these three men made a solemn vow:
John Barleycorn was dead.

<<< planting of the barley seed >>>

They've let him lie for a very long time,
Till the rains from heaven did fall.
And little Sir John sprung up his head,
And so amazed them all.

<<< sprouting of the barley in spring >>>

They've let him stand 'till midsummer's day,
Till he looked both pale and wan.
And little Sir John's grown a long, long beard,
And so become a man.

<<< barley plants turning brown and being ready to harvest. >>>

They've hired men with scythes so sharp,
To cut him off at the knee.
They've rolled him and tied him by the waist,
Serving him most barb'rously.

<<< the actual harvest, where they cut the stocks, beat the stocks, and hang them out to dry >>>

They've hired men with the sharp pitchforks,
Who pricked him to the heart.
And the loader, he has served him worse than that,
For he's bound him to the cart.

They've wheeled him 'round and around the field,
'Till they came unto a barn,
And there they've made a solemn oath,
On poor John Barleycorn.

They've hired men with the crabtree sticks,
To cut him skin from bone,
And the Miller, he has served him worse than that,
For he's ground him between two stones.

<<< the malting process, where the grain is soaked in water, allowed to germinate, followed by spreading out on the floor of the malt-house and kilned. At the end of it all, it is milled. >>>

And little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl,
And the brandy in the glass.
And little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl,
Proved the strongest man at last.

The Huntsman, he can't hunt the fox,
Nor so loudly blow his horn,
And the Tinker, he can't mend kettle nor pot,
Without a little Barleycorn.

CHEERS !!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:09 pm

bayonic wrote:what's the difference between FLEETWOOD MAC and ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION ? apparently , it's 11 2/3 RPM :D

in 1977, an FM station accidentally played the ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION album cut " Imaginary Lover " at the wrong speed - 45 RPM. Favorable calls began to light up the switchboard so the disc jockey let it play. Speeded up, the song sounded like FLEETWOOD MAC, with Stevie Nicks warbling vocals.

that's true bayonic.
even read somewhere that bootleg CDs of Stevie Nicks included this "full raced" ARS version.
marami nga naloko! :)
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:04 pm

bb3 wrote:
bayonic wrote:what's the difference between FLEETWOOD MAC and ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION ? apparently , it's 11 2/3 RPM :D

that's true bayonic.
even read somewhere that bootleg CDs of Stevie Nicks included this "full raced" ARS version.
marami nga naloko! :)

ahhh...it's so nice to read my idol post again :) :) :) sana may mga susunod pa.

now you're at it, Boy, i'd like to further you're mention on the "wrong playing" of recordings --- in particular, the backward maskings, or shall i say, "drawkcab sgniksam".

it was laidback weekend night many moons ago and my cousin and i were just hanging out stoned in his bedroom, when he pulled out a cassette tape with a recording of one of those charismatic sessions blasting rock and roll music as a work of the devil. man, that recording was trippy to say the least and sent shivers through me, being saradong Katoliko that i am. among the claims were:

1. if you play "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen backwards, you would hear: "It's fun to smoke marijuana". (when the speaker preached that marijuana was evil, this launched me and my cousin to a laughing trip)

2. Hotel California is a song about a satanistic ritual and that the hotel was the actual place were the rituals were held.

3. Revolution no. 9 by the Beatles is a satanistic song.

4. KISS (yes, Gene Simmons and the gang) stood for Knights in Satan's Service --- i'm sure arnoldc would vehemently object :D

these were just some of them.

anyone heard of that tape? maybe you'd like to post it here.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby merlin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:21 pm

2. Hotel California is a song about a satanistic ritual and that the hotel was the actual place were the rituals were held.

3. Revolution no. 9 by the Beatles is a satanistic song.

4. KISS (yes, Gene Simmons and the gang) stood for Knights in Satan's Service --- i'm sure arnoldc would vehemently object :D

these were just some of them.

anyone heard of that tape? maybe you'd like to post it here.[/quote]
Another one is Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. Song featured in this movie..

merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby bayonic » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 am

most of the purported messages from back masked songs were unintentional and were just products of some zealous Bible Belt crusader's campaign or some late night experiment by cheese eating high school boys who's had too many funny cigarettes :)

but they attracted attention and sold records so some bands intentionally included them in their recordings
some recent BM songs I've come across ...

midway through the track "Empty Spaces" from Pink Floyd's The Wall ....
when backmasked it says ...
"Congratulations. You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont... Roger! Carolyn's on the phone!"

the track " No Anchovies Please " from J.Geils Band's Love Stinks album ...
when backmasked says ...
"It doesn't take a genius to know the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad."
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Music