Recordings and their stories

Moderators: Jon Agner, bb3

Recordings and their stories

Postby bb3 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:54 am

george,
remember the album covers of the seventies when the creative rush in producing these jackets were at its peak? (i'm sure you have a lot more in your stash to add)
to name a few:
rolling stones/sticky fingers- real zipper on jacket
rolling stones/satanic...- hologram pix on cover
rolling stones/some girls- die cut cover to reveal diff faces on inner sleeve
led zed/physical grafitti -same as above
led zep 3 - die cut cover as above plus spinning wheel to reveal diff images
CSNY/de ja vu - "photograph" pasted on leather-like paper jacket w/ gold foil letterings
traffic/shoot out at fantasy factory - 6 sided album die-cut
grand funk railroad/el pluribus funk - silver coin shaped die cut
3 dog night/around the world - gatefold jacket opens to 2 pockets die cut of members outline
mark almond 1- envelope style jacket w/ flap
elton john/madman... - gatefold opens to fullsized booklets stitched on cover
elton john/tumbleweed. . . - same as above
this is not to mention free posters given together with Chicago 4, leif garret etc..

there is really only so much creativity you can squeeze out of a 5 X 5 jewel case nowadays, for how can you appreciate mati klarwein's artwork of abraxas if not in its full 12 X 24 splendor or for that matter andy warhol"s banana on velvet underground's cover.
even the simple b/w allman/fillmore east cover gives you a prelude of what you are about to listen to.

these i consider "artworks", quintessential icons of a bygone era.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:23 am

discexchange2003 wrote:george,
remember the album covers of the seventies when the creative rush in producing these jackets were at its peak? (i'm sure you have a lot more in your stash to add)
to name a few:
CSNY/de ja vu - "photograph" pasted on leather-like paper jacket w/ gold foil letterings
3 dog night/around the world - gatefold jacket opens to 2 pockets die cut of members outline
this is not to mention free posters given together with Chicago 4, leif garret etc..

there is really only so much creativity you can squeeze out of a 5 X 5 jewel case nowadays, for how can you appreciate mati klarwein's artwork of abraxas if not in its full 12 X 24 splendor or for that matter andy warhol"s banana on velvet underground's cover.
even the simple b/w allman/fillmore east cover gives you a prelude of what you are about to listen to.

Ayan na ang usapang music!!! :) :)

Boy/George/Rene, 8) 8) 8)

Siguro it will be very informative it the three of you and some other knowledgeable guys can tell us how the music came about from a particular singer/songwriter :) For example the song "Seperate lives" of Stephen Bishops, Fire & Rain by James Taylor, Operator & Time in a Bottle in Jim Croce, Killing me softly of Lori Lieberman. :)

I know for a fact that killing me softly was conceptualized by Lori for Don Mclean when she had a chance to watch him at Greenwich folk house. And the lyrics are really meant for him. I know also the story of the songs I mentioned above but I want to confirm it from you. :?

WS members who know the story behind please join the fun!!! :lol: :lol:

bobot
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby bayonic » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:41 am

discexchange2003 wrote:

EXACTLY!

i started to purchase LPs recently primarily because of the Artwork ... without even thinking of listening to them .
now i have an entry-level pro-ject turntable :)
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bayonic » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 am

Bedroom Eyes wrote:
Siguro it will be very informative it the three of you and some other knowledgeable guys can tell us how the music came about from a particular singer/songwriter :) For example the song "Seperate lives" of Stephen Bishops, Fire & Rain by James Taylor, Operator & Time in a Bottle in Jim Croce, Killing me softly of Lori Lieberman. :)

WS members who know the story behind please join the fun!!! :lol: :lol:

bobot

Fire And Rain is autobiographical ... not so sure but it deals with JT's substance abuse problem and the suicide of a close friend .
fairly typical thing to write and sing about i guess .
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:39 pm

Bayonic,

A lot of collectors of LPs mainly collect jackets due to artwoork of different forms. Some seek the Blue Note covers due to the photography of Francis Wolf in black and white. Pete Turner's work often grace the CTIs glossy covers. Ditto Richard Avedon. Even the great Norman Rockwell's portraits were on covers of rock LPs i.e. The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. Leroy Neiman was also often contracted. These are things of beauty specially if it is framed and hung on the music room. Hhmmmmm....why not? Try framing CD covers. ha ha

Bot,

This is the part I enjoy most being an audiophile. Listening to the music, appreciating the artists, studying them, reading about their lives, reading about why and how the song was written and to and for whom. Sarap!
I love talking about this. Learning and sharing. I have a "best friend" whom I talk over the phone every morning and all we talk about is music and the artists. I have abosorbed so much about a medium I am learning to appreciate. It is like a guided tour to an unfamiliar territory. There is so much to grasp and so little time. It is always a pleasure to share what little we know
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:53 pm

Boy,

Thanks so much for listing down all the great covers. My friend and I were just talking about LP covers the other day and the ones you mentioned were all included in our daily conversation. Man, these are so collectible. Can you believe the work done and the astronomical cost and yet, we, the consumers merely abused them to almost obscurity, I am guilty myself. I had most of them specially the Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" was teh one I missed most. I remembering tearing out the hologram to put it the dashboard of my car.

Wonder if anyone in the Philippines owns the most famous cover of all- The Beatles "butcher cover"?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:30 pm

ihatejazz wrote:Bayonic,

A lot of collectors of LPs mainly collect jackets due to artwoork of different forms. Some seek the Blue Note covers due to the photography of Francis Wolf in black and white. Pete Turner's work often grace the CTIs glossy covers. Ditto Richard Avedon. Even the great Norman Rockwell's portraits were on covers of rock LPs i.e. The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. Leroy Neiman was also often contracted. These are things of beauty specially if it is framed and hung on the music room. Hhmmmmm....why not? Try framing CD covers. ha ha

Bot,

This is the part I enjoy most being an audiophile. Listening to the music, appreciating the artists, studying them, reading about their lives, reading about why and how the song was written and to and for whom. Sarap!
I love talking about this. Learning and sharing. I have a "best friend" whom I talk over the phone every morning and all we talk about is music and the artists. I have abosorbed so much about a medium I am learning to appreciate. It is like a guided tour to an unfamiliar territory. There is so much to grasp and so little time. It is always a pleasure to share what little we know

Georgie, I totally agree with you! A lot of us music lovers here at WS just like what you have mentioned really tries to understand the artists ,their lives and why the song was written in the first place. In this way the
efforts and passion that was exerted by the artist -singer during the performance will be more appreciated or the listeners can understand where he/she is coming from :) .

One classic example is "Seperate Lives" by Stephen Bishop but was made popular by Phil Collins. It was written by Stephen because he was very bitter with his ex girl friend the actress Nancy Allen. She left him when they were still 2 struggling artists. That is why after several years of not seeing each other Nancy talked to him over the phone in his hotel to say how r u ...his first reaction was the famous line in the song..." You have no right to ask me how I feel" galing ano? :) :)
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby dinolara » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:48 pm

ihatejazz wrote:

Our discussion about Bob Dylan's life, art and music was very enlightening. Sarap tumambay sa audio room mo, dami natutunan! I really appreciate it. :)
dinolara
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bb3 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:30 pm

ihatejazz wrote:

dino wrote:
Our discussion about Bob Dylan's life, art and music was very enlightening. Sarap tumambay sa audio room mo, dami natutunan! I really appreciate it.

there's really nothing like getting it straight from the "master"
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:32 pm

george wrote:
I had most of them specially the Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" was teh one I missed most. I remembering tearing out the hologram to put it the dashboard of my car.

george, that car must've really rocked!
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:48 pm

discexchange2003 wrote:george wrote:
I had most of them specially the Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" was teh one I missed most. I remembering tearing out the hologram to put it the dashboard of my car.

george, that car must've really rocked!

It was a 1968 VW1500 beetle with EMPI mods. Remember the 8 track tape deck?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:13 am

do you mean this?
yes, those clunky cartridges, with their endless loop that would go on "forever" were reliable partners for those long trips to baguio then.

1500VW bug. . . cool!

oops OT na ata. sorry got carried away. . . just waxing nostalgia
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:16 am

discexchange2003 wrote:george,
to name a few:

mr moderator, please relocate all posts from this one to the latest post to the "record collecting" thread. This is getting very interesting. Baka ma OT lang dito. Thanks
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:22 am

ihatejazz, i've split it, but i cannot merge it to the 'record collecing' thread. so this discussion will probably stay in this new topic until i sort out the merging issue.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby jamants » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:07 am

one of my favorite album covers is emerson lake and palmer's brain salad surgery =) if im not mistaken it was made by Geiger a famous german artist who greatly influenced or pioneered biomech art. Siya rin ata nag umpisa sa mga alien series ni sigourney weaver, thus the similar high tech looking creatures. Siya rin ang gumawa ng microphone ng lead singer ng KORN hehe
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby noctilux » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:27 am

Boy B.,
I do have a couple of album cover albums of the 70's-80's. You may be able to repro from these.
Regards
Noct
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timn8ter » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:43 am

Santana Abraxas which I recently repurchased on vinyl. I was surprised that the artwork and album cover remained true to the original on the reprint. Even includes the black and white poster of the band in the second pocket of the cover.
timn8ter
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bb3 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:28 pm

timn8ter wrote:Santana Abraxas which I recently repurchased on vinyl. I was surprised that the artwork and album cover remained true to the original on the reprint. Even includes the black and white poster of the band in the second pocket of the cover.
abraxas, truly one of the most famous rock covers. the jap press that we had was printed on a silver-like paper that made the cover design more ethereal. i haven't seen that b/w poster of band yoy mentioned. looks interesting.

noct,
when can we see those covers. painggitin mo naman ako.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

re

Postby discophile » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:29 pm

timn8ter wrote:Santana Abraxas which I recently repurchased on vinyl. I was surprised that the artwork and album cover remained true to the original on the reprint. Even includes the black and white poster of the band in the second pocket of the cover.

Artwork on Abraxas really looks good. My Abraxas album along with the poster was signed by Carlos Santana himself when he came to the Philippines.

Does anybody here remember those B&W rock concert acid backgrounds during the 60s & 70s, it looks like a B&W version of a Pumping Heart and the other one looks like a movie film being melted:)

ihatejazz

cool!! Veedub with Empi mods :) My dad also had one dati..complete with stinger torotot exhaust and Scat options :)
discophile
Citizen
Citizen

Location: the desert of the horse with no name in the land of make believe

Postby rakenroler » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:14 pm

Additions to the best album jackets of the 70s...
m sure you guys will agree!

Free - Live ( fold out "envelope" style package)
Foghat - Live (die cut cover to reveal 4 members portrait on inner sleeve)
Rush - All the world's a Stage (trifold jacket)
rakenroler

Next

Return to Music