35K DIY Challenge

Moderators: vintage_dog, JackD201

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:19 pm

here's my cp# 09176319988.

all participants, please feel to sms or call me for any clarification or suggestions.

thanks much for your passion and support for this event. :)
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 pm

VD, I think it's Edrel and Alexg who'll be collaborating on this :)
User avatar
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 10566
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:48 pm
Location: Sa isang kabukiran na malapit sa tabing dagat

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Jon Agner wrote:VD, I think it's Edrel and Alexg who'll be collaborating on this :)



thanks. corrected line-up
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby anchit » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 pm

relatively new in this hobby, my very first set up was also a DIY. hope i can get to see/hear the "face-off". :)
anchit
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby real top » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm

I am sure whoever choose on this challenge, mapapadami ang order ng set at P35K :D :D :D
User avatar
real top
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Gubat at Langis

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby ambel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 am

But I don't have an iPod. And I will be lugging my Pre amp.
ambel
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:02 am

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 am

ambel wrote:But I don't have an iPod. And I will be lugging my Pre amp.


we will be using same iPod for all systems. erik, please note, the pre-amp may not be used in the actual evaluation unless the total cost of entire system used is still within the 35k limit. otherwise, the iPOd signal will be directly fed into the amp and volume is controlled via the iPOd.
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 am

real top wrote:I am sure whoever choose on this challenge, mapapadami ang order ng set at P35K :D :D :D


btw, the 35k is the max cost of the materials only. understandably, cost of labor, development cost, and profits may be charged by the owners if they decide to commercialize it.
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby JoeyGS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 am

Hi VD,

Gotta check if there will be volume control if the line out connector at the bottom of the iPod is used.

JoeyGS


vintage_dog wrote:
ambel wrote:But I don't have an iPod. And I will be lugging my Pre amp.


we will be using same iPod for all systems. erik, please note, the pre-amp may not be used in the actual evaluation unless the total cost of entire system used is still within the 35k limit. otherwise, the iPOd signal will be directly fed into the amp and volume is controlled via the iPOd.
User avatar
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Sta. Rosa, Laguna

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby hypertriode » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:26 am

JoeyGS wrote:Hi VD,

Gotta check if there will be volume control if the line out connector at the bottom of the iPod is used.

JoeyGS


vintage_dog wrote:
ambel wrote:But I don't have an iPod. And I will be lugging my Pre amp.


we will be using same iPod for all systems. erik, please note, the pre-amp may not be used in the actual evaluation unless the total cost of entire system used is still within the 35k limit. otherwise, the iPOd signal will be directly fed into the amp and volume is controlled via the iPOd.


I suggest a modest Ipod Transport (Onkyo ND-S1 or Cambridge ID-100) to DAC (MF Vdac2 or Cambridge DacMagic, etc.) system for the evaluation ;-)
User avatar
hypertriode
Grand Master
 
Posts: 4433
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:15 pm

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby Gino » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:48 am

Signal coming out of the iPod multi-pin connector is line-out as tested on my iPod 4G. It will be a steady signal and cannot be controlled by the iPod volume control. I have not tested my iPod Touch and iPad but I suspect it will be the same.

On my digital system, I use the headphone output. Hardly any difference.
User avatar
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 9:47 pm

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 am

Gino wrote:Signal coming out of the iPod multi-pin connector is line-out as tested on my iPod 4G. It will be a steady signal and cannot be controlled by the iPod volume control. I have not tested my iPod Touch and iPad but I suspect it will be the same.

On my digital system, I use the headphone output. Hardly any difference.


you are correct gino. either we use the headphone outs or the setup suggested by rene. we'll finalize pag malapit na.
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby kabubi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:45 pm

it is a truly worthwhile project, Francis, this challenge. and it's got WS abuzz with excitement. if i may shamelessly share some blasphemous thoughts:

- i perfectly agree with each system presenting a complete list or breakdown of parts and items used, from the casing to each and every resistor, capacitor, etc --- including the brands. we can't just account for all, say, capacitors and place them under only one category called "capacitors" and jot the cumulative cost. dapat i-indicate ang values at brands. for example, may danger kasi na palabasin na binili lahat sa Raon, yun pala may V-cap :?: :?: :?:

- pag gumamit din ng parts, branded na transformer halimbawa, dapat ilista ang fair market value nun part(s). di dapat ikatwiran na donated siya or it was long owned by the DiYer. not unless na ang entrant ang siyang mismong gumawa -- like in the case of Edrel, kahit factory produced pa siya. dito puedeng i-lista lang ni Edrel yung cost nung irons at wire lamang, siya kasi ang gumawa e. in the case of vintage stuff, like Altec or JBL, dapat ibigay yung fair market value kahit the DiYer/entrant has long been in possession of such. hindi advisable na sabihin niyang PhP 0.00 and cost niya.

- may i also sugest that there be a screening committee na magse-certify na yung kabuuang cost ng materyales ay di lalampas sa 35k. kumbaga sa impeachment process, isang pre-trial :)

- pending the identification of the judges, may i so shamelessly propose that there be a technical crew that will set up the entries. ito ay para maiwasan na ma-identify kung sino ang gumawa nung gear. kung taga WS ang magiging hurado, di kasi maiwasan na may inherent biases. what i am proposing is some sort of "blind test" na di ma-identify ang entries until the verdict has been rendered. tigin ko mas may objectivity -- not to mention mas exciting -- kung may element of mystery/anonymity.

- sana maintindihan ng ating mga katoto na kung may maging interesado sa alinmmang entry, hindi nangangahulugan na kung magpapagawa sila sa lumikha ng gear na yun, 35k yung cost. 35k kasi is the unit cost, or cost to produce -- wala dun yung proprietary aspect at labor cost which the DiYer has every right to factor in and determine.

yun lang po.
User avatar
kabubi
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5476
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

okey lang, i will be using transformers and chokes of my own design and build.....no botique parts.....available sa Raon ang mga parts, except maybe the tube sockets which are imported from China and the tubes from overseas........my build will be the cheapest of the lot.... :D and hopefully not the cheapest sounding..... 8)
User avatar
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:18 am
Location: Pasig City....

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby JackD201 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:03 pm

kabubi wrote:it is a truly worthwhile project, Francis, this challenge. and it's got WS abuzz with excitement. if i may shamelessly share some blasphemous thoughts:

- i perfectly agree with each system presenting a complete list or breakdown of parts and items used, from the casing to each and every resistor, capacitor, etc --- including the brands. we can't just account for all, say, capacitors and place them under only one category called "capacitors" and jot the cumulative cost. dapat i-indicate ang values at brands. for example, may danger kasi na palabasin na binili lahat sa Raon, yun pala may V-cap :?: :?: :?:

- pag gumamit din ng parts, branded na transformer halimbawa, dapat ilista ang fair market value nun part(s). di dapat ikatwiran na donated siya or it was long owned by the DiYer. not unless na ang entrant ang siyang mismong gumawa -- like in the case of Edrel, kahit factory produced pa siya. dito puedeng i-lista lang ni Edrel yung cost nung irons at wire lamang, siya kasi ang gumawa e. in the case of vintage stuff, like Altec or JBL, dapat ibigay yung fair market value kahit the DiYer/entrant has long been in possession of such. hindi advisable na sabihin niyang PhP 0.00 and cost niya.

- may i also sugest that there be a screening committee na magse-certify na yung kabuuang cost ng materyales ay di lalampas sa 35k. kumbaga sa impeachment process, isang pre-trial :)

- pending the identification of the judges, may i so shamelessly propose that there be a technical crew that will set up the entries. ito ay para maiwasan na ma-identify kung sino ang gumawa nung gear. kung taga WS ang magiging hurado, di kasi maiwasan na may inherent biases. what i am proposing is some sort of "blind test" na di ma-identify ang entries until the verdict has been rendered. tigin ko mas may objectivity -- not to mention mas exciting -- kung may element of mystery/anonymity.

- sana maintindihan ng ating mga katoto na kung may maging interesado sa alinmmang entry, hindi nangangahulugan na kung magpapagawa sila sa lumikha ng gear na yun, 35k yung cost. 35k kasi is the unit cost, or cost to produce -- wala dun yung proprietary aspect at labor cost which the DiYer has every right to factor in and determine.

yun lang po.


Hi Kabubs,

I don't know if we should really complicate all of this too much when it comes to cost. Hindi naman sana natin kailangang ikontrata ang SGV para dito :D I mean suppose one of the contestants is building his amp from his parts bin, and for sure lots of those parts will, do we go new retail or do we have to make them compute the street, used, or depreciated price? What if parts were scavenged? How do we assign a price for those? Hassle lang for them. IMO better to have them expend their energy on the creative and build aspects. Honor System na lang is my suggestion. Magkakaalaman rin naman kung may mang-gulang man. ;)

As for the anonymous entries, I fully agree, I even volunteered to be head of the judge distraction committee aka gigimick kami habang nagsesetup kayo :D :D :D Judges won't know who made what. Scoring criteria and weights are being designed by VD. May scoring sheet that will be tabulated.

Jack
User avatar
JackD201
Immortal
 
Posts: 10024
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:10 am
Location: Bozania

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby Superman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Sir VD, when is the target date of the "showdown"?? :clap:
User avatar
Superman
Master Showman
 
Posts: 15235
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Davao City

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:33 pm

way i understand it, even if i spent only 10k for the whole build and if my setup was chosen, i still get 35k, right? ;)
User avatar
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:18 am
Location: Pasig City....

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby JackD201 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:45 pm

tony wrote:way i understand it, even if i spent only 10k for the whole build and if my setup was chosen, i still get 35k, right? ;)


If read word for word in post one, that would be my understanding as well.
User avatar
JackD201
Immortal
 
Posts: 10024
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:10 am
Location: Bozania

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:50 pm

thanks, pero of course we will try to put in more value for money in them... 8)
User avatar
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:18 am
Location: Pasig City....

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:53 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Hi VD,

Gotta check if there will be volume control if the line out connector at the bottom of the iPod is used.

JoeyGS


vintage_dog wrote:
ambel wrote:But I don't have an iPod. And I will be lugging my Pre amp.


we will be using same iPod for all systems. erik, please note, the pre-amp may not be used in the actual evaluation unless the total cost of entire system used is still within the 35k limit. otherwise, the iPOd signal will be directly fed into the amp and volume is controlled via the iPOd.


i have a passive device to control the volume from the multiconnector. mali ung info nabigay ko earlier.
User avatar
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: south of town

PreviousNext

Return to 35K DIY Challenge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron