35K DIY Challenge

Moderators: vintage_dog, JackD201

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby JoeyGS » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Just a thought......

If the 35k only consists of the materials consumed and the labor + profit margin shall be 100% up to 3x the 35k, then this would be unaffordable.

Would it be possible to include everything in the 35K = materials, labor, profit?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 pm

35k is limit to the materials only. if folks can build it around with labor, then that's fine. labor costs vary from builder to builder so i'd like to simplify the parameters.

after all this is a DIY challenge, not really a business proposition :) although that may follow hehe

thanks
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tjaderman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Just a thought......

If the 35k only consists of the materials consumed and the labor + profit margin shall be 100% up to 3x the 35k, then this would be unaffordable.

Would it be possible to include everything in the 35K = materials, labor, profit?

+1
And hopefully, commercially available for the same amount. :)
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Can we require the participants to indicate in their entry if their 35k includes labor and/or profit?

It would be nice to see which of the participants would have a product with best value for money. And in the end, the members would begin to purchase and support the diyers to earn their worth.

Marami kaming interesado sa SET system, including me, and maybe this would be the chance for us to own a product with best value for money.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:11 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Can we require the participants to indicate in their entry if their 35k includes labor and/or profit?

It would be nice to see which of the participants would have a product with best value for money. And in the end, the members would begin to purchase and support the diyers to earn their worth.

Marami kaming interesado sa SET system, including me, and maybe this would be the chance for us to own a product with best value for money.

Bossing, mukhang mahirap 35k system inclusive of profit + labor. I think P35k materials parameter oks na kasi the EI transformers alone can eat up that budget . . . :D

Pero ako rin interesado diyan. . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm

to all participants, with your indulgence and permission, i plan to visit and listen to your system at your place as soon as your system is ready. i will also bring the iPod and your copy of the test CD, and learn more about your design and the construction story :) will also like to see your bill of materials ;-)

good luck!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ttommy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 am

Related to this, earlier I suggested expanding the nature of the event to be more than just a contest and provide the opportunity where all entrants can "win." In other words, less beauty pageant, more livestock auction show :lol:

Let's say there are 10 entrants, one of which gets chosen by the judging panel for VD... it doesn't mean the other nine won't have their own fans who'd be willing to purchase their builds that same day. I think if entrants specify that they're willing to put up their gear for auction with a minimum reserve price, then after the selection process, this auction can be held and, who knows, some of the other entrants might even fetch higher than the 35K entry that made "VD's choice award." In fairness to the original "winner," a rule might be made whereby any auction closed over 35K might have the differential donated to VDs favorite charity... or ipa-after party and so on.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby planarribbon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 am

nice! that sounds good! (pun intended)
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!w

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:26 am

ttommy wrote:

Related to this, earlier I suggested expanding the nature of the event to be more than just a contest and provide the opportunity where all entrants can "win." In other words, less beauty pageant, more livestock auction show :lol:

Let's say there are 10 entrants, one of which gets chosen by the judging panel for VD... it doesn't mean the other nine won't have their own fans who'd be willing to purchase their builds that same day. I think if entrants specify that they're willing to put up their gear for auction with a minimum reserve price, then after the selection process, this auction can be held and, who knows, some of the other entrants might even fetch higher than the 35K entry that made "VD's choice award." In fairness to the original "winner," a rule might be made whereby any auction closed over 35K might have the differential donated to VDs favorite charity... or ipa-after party and so on.

thanks for the inputs. we have similar ideas :rock:

1. judges' choice from 3 finalists
2. audience choice
3, the auction idea is also being considered as suggested to me by 2 other folks. will workout mechanics with you after consultation with builders.
4. yes, everyone is a winner and will get a trophy :clap:
5. a dedicated room for the DIY picks at the hifi show. thanks tonyboy for the offer :)
6. the silky stockings trophy goes to my personal choice from the 3 finalists.

will fine-tune and will modify as we go along...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hypertriode » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am

Clarification lang VD; is parallel-single-ended (PSE) considered? I know it would be a shot in the dark with regards to the budget limit but we can try; who knows baka makalusot ;)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby ESaudio » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:33 pm

After this DIY SET challenge, how i wish this event could lead to a regular annual All Pinoy DIY Audio Event where Pinoy talents can show and exhibit their creations. With this initial affair on limited scale, please allow me to share my takes:

1. if possible, entries or participants can be limited to a maximum of ten so the event can be wind up during the whole day. Final judging can be announced in the early evening where there can a bit of celebration and closing ceremony;

2. each participant should be allowed to play at least 2 to 3 audio tracks of their own choice but not to exceed a total of 10 minutes of playing time. Since this is a DIY shootout, there must be at least 3 to 5 common test tracks for all DIY entries with an allotted time of 30minutes for testing and review by the judges based on the audio dynamics, imaging, details, etc. of the test tracks.

each participant will be given a schedule on what time during the day their entry will be given a turn to play. the order of playing time can be done by raffle as to who is the first and who is the last. Or, the shootout can done successively during the day after their respective allotted time until they're all finished.

3. since the challenge is base on honour system, each participant should submit a written statement or fill up an event form (notarization not necessary) that the total costs of his entry (SET amp and speakers) is 35K or less. Even if he actually exceeds the limit of 35K, he should declare it at 35K limit with supporting bill of materials and we should take it for value in an honour system. Costs of labor and projected profit not included. In this manner, we can avoid and save time is examining and evaluating the costs or price for each parts or components being used. Final evaluation of the costs of materials may be done after announcement of the winning entry if he has truly complied with the rule.

4. there must be common digital source (or CD player or MP3 players) for testing all entries. Use of turntable/LP records for additional testing will be up to the organizers but this will surely consume more time to simply test an audiophile budget system if we may consider it so. Afterall, we can gauge already the performance of the budget DIY system thru the use of reference or test CDs;

5. board of judges may be composed of five members (three of whom are non-WS members and two WS members).

6. and lastly, is it possible for the DIYer to keep his winning entry and the prize as his lifetime trophy considering that this is the very first time that this event had ever taken place and savor the value and honor of his achievement?

Thanks guys!
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for your inputs. Mechanics for the event will be shared at the appropriate time.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby tony » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Even if he actually exceeds the limit of 35K, he should declare it at 35K limit with supporting bill of materials and we should take it for value in an honour system.

might as well remove the limits......then the setup group can join.....the more the merrier.... ;)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:26 pm

tony wrote:
Even if he actually exceeds the limit of 35K, he should declare it at 35K limit with supporting bill of materials and we should take it for value in an honour system.

might as well remove the limits......then the setup group can join.....the more the merrier.... ;)

as previously announced, limit is 35k for this event. no need to change this for now, perhaps in another event in the future. also the set-up guys will join. :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby quarterback » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:26 pm

narayan wrote:
trod93 wrote:May entry na ako.

Joke :D . June pa pala.

TIA

very striking resemblance to speakers am familiar with :devil:

+1 ;)
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

hypertriode wrote:Clarification lang VD; is parallel-single-ended (PSE) considered? I know it would be a shot in the dark with regards to the budget limit but we can try; who knows baka makalusot ;)

unless there are serious objections, this looks okay... so long as it's all within the budget :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 35K DIY Challenge

Postby joe3rp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 pm

VD,

Is there a reason why you chose P35,000 for amp+speakers?

Are all/most the "participants" acceptable to the P35,000 limit?

TIA
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 pm

joe3rp wrote:VD,

Is there a reason why you chose P35,000 for amp+speakers?

Are all/most the "participants" acceptable to the P35,000 limit?

TIA

it's based on some rough (really rough) costing of a "budget" system that's DIY (less labor of the DIYer). years ago, we were able to build something for less than 25k, so 35k looks reasonable. that's why this was posed as a challenge - to build a good sounding system for 35k!

so far everyone who have signed-up is committed to build one within this budget.... ;) at least am not aware of anyone saying it's impossible. that's part of the challenge and fun. :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby muypogi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 am

if I may add humbly, 35k should based on commercially-available parts sana, so that results can be repeatable, just in case there are people interested to buy the said items. Baka may gumamit ng unobtanium tubes or capacitors or components.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:42 am

muypogi wrote:if I may add humbly, 35k should based on commercially-available parts sana, so that results can be repeatable, just in case there are people interested to buy the said items. Baka may gumamit ng unobtanium tubes or capacitors or components.

you are right...that's the intent. thanks
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to 35K DIY Challenge