TAS Twin P100 - finally it's over

Turntables, cartridges, phono-pre, records and analog supplies

Moderator: TheAnalogSource

Re: P100 -Test driving the hotrod Rega P3-24 Project

Postby endrik35 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Congrats Klasmeyt Gilbert, the big time PATHOLOGIST! :clap: :clap: :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:01 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:Dodie, handa ka na sa treat ni philpath...kun hindi sa dare hindi pa eto matapos eh...hehehe

...some spike shoes and a little tuning on the arm.....we are almost home.

how does it sound...as predicted....weighty and cleaner 8)

Thank you for the support of the real "Upgrade King" Doc E!!!!!

Will this table perform as well as the mighty Lenco or will it fade into distant memory?????? Sana, sana, sana. I haven't heard the P100 yet but I'd bet the "UK's" in this forum will follow suit including the silent "UK", the other "EVER FOREVER" AKA Kabubs!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:22 pm

philpath wrote:
TheAnalogSource wrote:Dodie, handa ka na sa treat ni philpath...kun hindi sa dare hindi pa eto matapos eh...hehehe

Will this table perform as well as the mighty Lenco or will it fade into distant memory?????? Sana, sana, sana. I haven't heard the P100 yet but I'd bet the "UK's" in this forum will follow suit including the silent "UK", the other "EVER FOREVER" AKA Kabubs!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I always got your back klasmeyt!! :)
Actualy, before and after pics dapat ipopost ni Noly. nagkamali lang siya dahil before pics yung napost niya. . .

After mods pics

:clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :devil: :devil:
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 pm

endrik35 wrote:
philpath wrote:

I always got your back klasmeyt!! :)
Actualy, before and after pics dapat ipopost ni Noly. nagkamali lang siya dahil before pics yung napost niya. . .

After mods pics

:clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :devil: :devil:

NAKAAAAA HUWAG NAMAN SANA!!!!! Seriously, Kailan kaya matapos yan REGA pati footers and "tuning" kuno?????? Kailan??? Kailan????
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Dodie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

philpath wrote: Seriously, Kailan kaya matapos yan REGA pati footers and "tuning" kuno?????? Kailan??? Kailan????

pa expo ka na boss sa sat! punta ako!................yung may billiard table na lang kya para samen ni doc endrick :) :) :)
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Flash News!

ABS-CBN Star Cinema is drawing up plans to make a movie based on the life of Doc Philpath. in the soon to be filmed movie, Ms Ai-Ai delas Alas will portray the mother of Gilbert who will grow up to be a successful Pathologist and eventually play a huge influence in the lives of his Audiophile friends.

The movie will be entitled "UK ng Ina Mo!"
Last edited by kabubi on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Penge ng free movie passes ha!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 pm

palpak un p100..:(
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby philpath » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:41 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:palpak un p100..:(

Di yata tama yan ah!!!! Eh dami hype niyan p100 na yan!!!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :( :( :( :(
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 pm

palpak talaga first attempt and comparison....parang pareho lang eh

...so went back to the drawing board thinking what is the bottleneck...pinilit ko lang kasi un jelco...ang layo ng mounting distance with the orig....
so this morning, i replaced the arm with a grace and parang talunin pa un lenco ah hehehe

...unfortunately the same model is not available at the moment on ebay....so will proceed with my original plan to modify the rb.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby endrik35 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:35 am

I agree with you Noly that the limiting factor on the Rega P3-24 is it's tonearm. The bearings is not that good or maganit if you might call it. That's why some say that the Rega RB 250 is the better tonearm with a different bearing from the rb300/301 and can accomodate origin live modifications. Not wanting to change my tonearm to preserve the p3-24's originality, what I did was to inject a mixture of "superoil" (Pertua) and a "super lubricant"(Inox) on the tonearm bearings. Now, my tonearm is gliding smoothly, Then I retained the glass platter because I believe that the glass is heavier and has a higher mass than the acrylic ones and has a better rotational force. Actually I tried the funkfirm achroplat (acrylic platter) before but I've noticed that the orig glass platter works better. A couple of upgrades followed from a herbie's way excellent II 2mm platter mat to an aluminum subplatter from Michael Lim, rega white belt upgrade and so forth. i resisted Michael's offer for a double pulley and double belt system which he claimed is a very worthy upgrade. My concern is that I was afraid to destroy my motor if ever I pull out the old pulley wrongly. Another thing is I believe that the rega glass platter is not that heavy and a single white belt will have no trouble spinning it. Then a technique i learned from vinyl engine was to dampen and put dynamat on the underside of the plinth to absorb vibrations.

I added an extra mod based on the RP3's brace design and applied dynamat on top of the turntable, from the tonearm assembly to the spindle

*Instead of using a metal brace, i also used dynamat because I want to preserve Tatang Gandy's idea of a "lightweight yet rigid" plinth :)

All these mods raised the performace of the rega p3-34 to a new level. . I was happy and content till my friend Leslie upgraded the caps of my lowly musical fidelity VLPS phono stage to Panasonic FC's and Mundorfs and I was surprised that a phono stage this cheap can be a "giant killer". . . ;)
So end of story? not yet. . .Instead of ordering a Russ Andrew PSU for the VLPS phonostage,. .I comissioned my friend Leslie to build me this. . .

I'm not joking but this DIY dual rail Salas shunt PSU made the greatest improvement on my Rega/VLPS. . .Now a firm believer that a clean and efficient power supply would do wonders for one's system! Used batteries before and they worked great for my phonostage but this Salas shunt PSU is more stable and sounds better!
To date, my P3-24's sound is not far off from the Lenco and I couldn't be more happier :D Thanks Leslie!

So there you have it. . .Tweaking the Rega is fun, costly and exhaustive. I know that Charles p3-24 sounds great because of the magnificent Grace tonearm and the benz micro cartridge. Doc Gilbert's P3-24 will surely improve by changing the tonearm to a Grace ;) But at the end of the day. . .will my beloved klasmeyt ask this question. . .WHAT IF I GOT MYSELF A LENCO AND HAVE IT RESTORED BY NOLY? ;) :clap: :clap:
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Well put and well said klasmeyt!!! Kaya lang kailan kaya, kailan kaya matapos yan P100 na yan???? :( :( :(
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Dodie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:06 pm

philpath wrote:Well put and well said klasmeyt!!! Kaya lang kailan kaya, kailan kaya matapos yan P100 na yan???? :( :( :(

I already reserved a trancription lenco table for you doc or pick your choice on my l75's(just in case) :devil: :devil:

GANDY BOY ADVENTURE SERIES

WRATH OF THE TITAN DOC: the righteous journey to the analog underworld(LENCOLAND) 8) 8)
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Happy to contribute on your journey Endrik35, and thanks for sharing your other Rega tweaks in this forum :)

DIY and tweaking is rewarding but is not without its failures and miss-steps. However, each one is a valuable lesson and only adds to experience. Multiply that experience when it's shared freely in a forum such as this.

I appreciate especially TAS honest and critical evaluation of the mods made and looking forward to the next chapter! :)
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby philpath » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 am

Kailan kaya, kailan kaya matapos yan Rega na yan???? :( :( :( :(
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 am

philpath wrote:Kailan kaya, kailan kaya matapos yan Rega na yan???? :( :( :( :(

Madali lang yan Doc, bili ka ng Grace tonearm or mag Lenco ka na . . . :devil: :devil: :devil:
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:57 pm

muypogi wrote:

Madali lang yan Doc, bili ka ng Grace tonearm or mag Lenco ka na . . . :devil: :devil: :devil:

Friend Moi!!! Una di gawa ni Tatang GAndy yan Lenco. Pangalawa mahal yan Lenco. Conclusion: Di bagay kay Philpath ang Lenco!!!!!! :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Dodie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 am

philpath wrote:
muypogi wrote:

Friend Moi!!! Una di gawa ni Tatang GAndy yan Lenco. Pangalawa mahal yan Lenco. Conclusion: Di bagay kay Philpath ang Lenco!!!!!! :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

Doc idol, eh bkit pag relo na swiss made like mo, eh swiss made din ang lenco eh! :o :o :tmi: :tmi:

Come to tink op it.............you want presicion time.....you pick your patek! You want prescion speed......youll pick your p3 ? :n: :n: PICK A SWISS TT, PICK A LENCO! :devil: d mo na kailangan doblehin ang belt para di sumala ng takbo. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Amen to that! Boss "LENCO KING" Dodie!
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 pm

MAY PAGASA PA KAYA MATAPOS ITONG TABLE NA ITO!!!! huhuhuhu :( :( :( :(