Tas Room : something old for the new year -2016

Turntables, cartridges, phono-pre, records and analog supplies

Moderator: TheAnalogSource

Re: Tas Room - done but no more gears :(

Postby JackD201 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm

The DQ-8s are yummy too. Talk about a design that has stood the test of time. Heresy I know but I like them more than the 10s because of the 8s much broader spread.

Hung out with Thy Neighbor today. San Juan din pala ako kaya, our neighbor pala. :D Just hung out and shot the breeze after taking delivery of the Prot....... :x ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 am

I've been a fan of the Dalhquist even since Robert introduced them to me. It just has what my dynes were lacking....the air. I have to agree with you Jack. imho the dq-8s is most complete and most balance tonally in the line thus i have 2 pairs hehehe. the dq-10 tapered on both ends but im still wanting one (just one piece hehe) for my future mono setup. the main speaker i use is the dq-12, the 3-way counterpart of the dq-8 which i find on the hot side so a need for tonal adjustment on the electronics. the boxed dahlquist well sound just as what it is...boxed.

....well, looked like everybody got their xmas gift early this year....not necessarily from santa hahaha
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 pm

im in deep sh`#%()-_-?t......walang bass
TheAnalogSource

Postby dnk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:im in deep sh`#%()-_-?t......walang bass

What's the name of the guy who distributes those bada$$ subs? Ritmik ba yun? :lol:
dnk
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 pm

How were the tiles installed vs the old ceiling TAS. Do you now have them on frames with airspace above?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:18 am

JackD201 wrote:

How were the tiles installed vs the old ceiling TAS. Do you now have them on frames with airspace above?

the new ceiling panel hang loose on the t-runner as compared to fixed plywood kisame before...the room cant hold the pumped air....my floorstander sounds like a monitor hahaha

well oh well.......time to scout a bigger speaker and a bigger amp
TheAnalogSource

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:
JackD201 wrote:

the new ceiling panel hang loose on the t-runner as compared to fixed plywood kisame before...the room cant hold the pumped air....my floorstander sounds like a monitor hahaha

well oh well.......time to scout a bigger speaker and a bigger amp

nols, welcome to the 'domino effect' of the audio world. each 'upgrade' banging down the next 'domino'. room -->speakers-->amp --->sky-is-the-limit. :D but that is not a problem, just request morita to bring in the duntech sovereign, genesis 2.5 and the sequerra signature speakers. by that time you won't just need a new poweful amp, you will need more AMPS! :lol:
Last edited by jadis on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am

hehe sa tingin ko sinister plan ni morita ipa acoustic board un kisame para mawala ang bass hehehe welcome rhytmik hahaha

....my immediate plan is to write off my losses and have the panels fixed mount to the old braces.....however i seem to like how the mids sound this time....so maybe its a rhytmik indeed :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
TheAnalogSource

Re: Tas Room - more problem piling up :(

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Nols you can load the tiles by putting good ol hardy flex or 1/2" ply on the other side negating the air damping while keeping your HF and upper mid improvements. Just ask your contractor if the T bracing can take the weight. It should be able to easily. You can do it section by section "tuning bass response as you go along. ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm

thank you very much for the suggestion Jack....i've seen how its done so i think the GI tie wire can support it.... will do it with the old ceiling panels...pwede din ba example lumber add on top so the boards will have weight on it or should the whole panel be covered underneath?

btw....me bagong suggestion si Robert.....bullet train ceiling daw the best ;) :lol:
TheAnalogSource

Postby highlander » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 pm

JackD201 wrote:Nols you can load the tiles by putting good ol hardy flex or 1/2" ply on the other side negating the air damping while keeping your HF and upper mid improvements. Just ask your contractor if the T bracing can take the weight. It should be able to easily. You can do it section by section "tuning bass response as you go along. ;)

maybe I should do this also :^) starting with the corners, right? :$

Noly, narinig mo yung room ko di ba? ganun ba sa yo, o walang bass talaga? hehe
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 pm

jon, floorstander un akin...in the old room...everybody is asking if i installed a subwoofer....ganun un bass ko dati....gapang talaga

.....now parang naka ls35a lang :(
TheAnalogSource

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:thank you very much for the suggestion Jack....i've seen how its done so i think the GI tie wire can support it.... will do it with the old ceiling panels...pwede din ba example lumber add on top so the boards will have weight on it or should the whole panel be covered underneath?

btw....me bagong suggestion si Robert.....bullet train ceiling daw the best ;) :lol:

Hahahaha! Matindi yun! Won't solve your problem though. Key is to effectively seal off the rear of some of the ceiling tiles. Seal all and your reverberation time in the mids will go back to before. The absorption coefficient in the lower frequencies goes up the more airspace there is :!: :) Take out the airspace by covering it, down goes the low end ab coefficient :clap:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm

highlander wrote:
JackD201 wrote:Nols you can load the tiles by putting good ol hardy flex or 1/2" ply on the other side negating the air damping while keeping your HF and upper mid improvements. Just ask your contractor if the T bracing can take the weight. It should be able to easily. You can do it section by section "tuning bass response as you go along. ;)

maybe I should do this also :^) starting with the corners, right? :$

Noly, narinig mo yung room ko di ba? ganun ba sa yo, o walang bass talaga? hehe

Mainipis lang talaga hangin sa baguio bro. :D Just kidding!

If you have the same problem as Noly (ceiling is acting like one giant bass trap), apply covering (back aka unseen part of the ceiling tiles) in the first front quarter of the room. Then keep adding until the bass solidifies but doesn't ring. Typically one would end up covering between 1/2 to 2/3s leaving the rear area open. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby highlander » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 am

JackD201 wrote:Mainipis lang talaga hangin sa baguio bro. :D Just kidding!

Manipis nga, malamig naman! :P :P :P

If you have the same problem as Noly (ceiling is acting like one giant bass trap), apply covering (back aka unseen part of the ceiling tiles) in the first front quarter of the room. Then keep adding until the bass solidifies but doesn't ring. Typically one would end up covering between 1/2 to 2/3s leaving the rear area open. :)

Not as serious as Noly's though...medyo bitin lang ang bass sometimes. Maybe the recording itself, the room, or the Victory :?:
But it's worth trying..... :clap:
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 am

Oo nga naman! Mahal ng *^%$*%*%$ kuryente! Hilig ko panaman sa class A at malalaking tubo. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 am

putting up second row of plywood at this time....wish me luck
TheAnalogSource

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 am

Bakit di mo nalang I pa measure room response mo?
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re: Tas Room - Many Thanks Jack :)

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am

and so as per advice of Jack, i had the old ceiling plywood cut to the acoustic board size and put them on top of the acoustic panel....

.....very significant change in bass response....grabe....salamat na madami :)

question lang....would a thicker plywood be better? im going to have 1/2 inch plywood cut up to size after the holiday.

..... next step.....cut down liveliness of the room....im coming from half ply-half concrete wall to full concrete wall
TheAnalogSource

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am

Jon Agner wrote:Bakit di mo nalang I pa measure room response mo?

oido lang....cut and paste lang to be musical Jon....a flat response room may not be to my liking din anyhow.
TheAnalogSource

PreviousNext

Return to >> The Analog Source <<