DIY tonearm rewiring

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

DIY tonearm rewiring

Postby darkest_error » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Just like to share my DIY tonearm rewiring experience yesterday. I've been searching for lower cost alternative for a fine tonearm wire (around #34-#36, stranded). Locally, can't seem to find one. Saw on other online forums about using AM radio antenna coils, and that's it. I headed to raon and bought this AM antenna coil by CMC for only Php 12.00. It's stranded, very lightweight and flexible enough and insulated with a thin cotton material..and of course very cheap! One antenna coil is more than enough for one tonearm, most likely even longer arms. I twisted each pair for each channel and color coded each ends of the wires with a felt-tipped pen. Since I'm quite worried about the insulation being stripped of in time, i reinforced the insulation by applying one layer of natural plastic varnish. Being careful not to put too much varnish as it might affect the flexibility of the wires, making them rigid and therefore may affect the tonearm movement. After the installation, and without listening yet, the arm movement was really smoother as compared to my previous mouse cable tonearm rewire before. SQ is smoother also, lesser noise, balanced. Though I have not checked the tonearm wire capacitance yet, there seems to be no significant high freq roll-off anyway. And for the sound, it's very lively and I'm satisfied. First time to hear Bob Marley's Redemption Song this clean and distortion free. :clap: There might be people here who have used this am antenna coil for tonearm wiring before, and it would be nice if they can share their experiences as well.
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Return to DIY and Tubes