Power consumption on stand by

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Power consumption on stand by

Postby alfa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 am

I have a tube power amp That I bet consumes a gazillion watts when I use it. Question is when it is on, meaning the tubes are aglow, but there is no input/output signal how much power am I consuming?

In relation to this topic do I prolong/lessen the amp and tube life longer by keeping it on all the time as opposed to just turning it on 30 minutes before I use it. I noticed that I need at least an hour before the sound is awakene and it goes on full bloom after 2-3 hours use. For reference I use atube amp with Kt-88 output tubes
alfa
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Power consumption on stand by

Postby qguy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 am

Depends on the type of amp, Class A will consume more power compared to class AB, maybe even more even if the Class AB is playing.

Turning on or off, again it depends on how often you turn off or on a single day, someone told me that tubes are like bulbs the more you switch on or off the faster it goes kaputz, there is an incandecent light bulb that has been on for several decades and it has not been turned off. I would not suggest turning your amp on forever, hehehe. I guess between turning off your amp vs saving power for an hour or two when you have to do something and then listen again, I would just keep it playing.

alfa wrote:I have a tube power amp That I bet consumes a gazillion watts when I use it. Question is when it is on, meaning the tubes are aglow, but there is no input/output signal how much power am I consuming?

In relation to this topic do I prolong/lessen the amp and tube life longer by keeping it on all the time as opposed to just turning it on 30 minutes before I use it. I noticed that I need at least an hour before the sound is awakene and it goes on full bloom after 2-3 hours use. For reference I use atube amp with Kt-88 output tubes
qguy
Master
Master

Return to DIY and Tubes