OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby moonski » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi DIYers,

I'm a new member in this community. Its been a couple of years since I started with this hobby with the aide of my very good friend Bradie.. I post this inquiry also to the other site (PDVD) hoping to get more input from those who already try or own this OPT. I try to search online but cannot get good review on each one. The choices that i am looking at are the Lundahl LL1664 or the tango XE-20S. This is so far the one that catches my attention due to its versatility and price (medyo makaya lang). please let me know what you think about this OPT and which one you prefer. If you have other OPT brand that may fit in to this price range and at par or better in perf, please do include it also as i am still not decided yet on which OPT to get . Waiting to hear your thoughts.. Thanks..
Last edited by moonski on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonski
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: OPT for 2A2 SE amp. Which one..

Postby carbondated » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

I have been very happy with the sound of my Lundahl C-cores, and they are very reasonably priced for the quality although freight and taxes may add to the cost. I think the other choices in this price range are Silk, James, maybe Hashimoto... Good luck! :)
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 am

Re: OPT for 2A2 SE amp. Which one..

Postby brady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 am

Bai... if available, and you can inquire, ask for primary inductance. there's also a bit of stray capacitance, but i doubt if they will bother to tell you about it... heheheheh

my take on cost:quality question is - buy the best you can afford. an opt you do not want to use is just an expensive paper weight.
brady
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:06 pm

Re: OPT for 2A2 SE amp. Which one..

Postby camotecue » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 am

2A2? Might be a typo error. I believe the OPT is for a 2A3 amp.
User avatar
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:25 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby moonski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:14 pm

camotecue wrote:2A2? Might be a typo error. I believe the OPT is for a 2A3 amp.


Sorry. it is a typo error. it is a 2a3..
moonski
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby moonski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 pm

brady wrote:Bai... if available, and you can inquire, ask for primary inductance. there's also a bit of stray capacitance, but i doubt if they will bother to tell you about it... heheheheh

my take on cost:quality question is - buy the best you can afford. an opt you do not want to use is just an expensive paper weight.


Bai,

you are right but there are contradicting reviews saying this one is better than the other one. :sweat: This will add to the confusion as to which OPT to choose. More searching on the net does not help also. I would probably go with Tango opt. As to which one, it might be the FE-12S or the XE-20S. it will depend on the budget.. hehehe. See you next month and maybe we can try the 208S that i have on your system. :lol:
moonski
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby brady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 am

reviews in the commercial/mainstream media are often of little help... :)

we have listened to, and studied a few well-reviewed brands, and we sometime suspect that the reviewer was listening to and writing about a totally different amp... :)
brady
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:06 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby hypertriode » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 am

moonski wrote:Hi DIYers,

I'm a new member in this community. Its been a couple of years since I started with this hobby with the aide of my very good friend Bradie.. I post this inquiry also to the other site (PDVD) hoping to get more input from those who already try or own this OPT. I try to search online but cannot get good review on each one. The choices that i am looking at are the Lundahl LL1664 or the tango XE-20S. This is so far the one that catches my attention due to its versatility and price (medyo makaya lang). please let me know what you think about this OPT and which one you prefer. If you have other OPT brand that may fit in to this price range and at par or better in perf, please do include it also as i am still not decided yet on which OPT to get . Waiting to hear your thoughts.. Thanks..


Hi moonski. Not thoughts but actual experiences :-)
I have used the XE-20s several times and I would say it's a very good all-rounder. On a same circuit though, the Tamura F-2007 produces more & tighter bass and you can feel the improved headroom (this OPT is huge anyways). Consider the James too; SET magic at a very affordable price! :-)
User avatar
hypertriode
Grand Master
 
Posts: 4433
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:15 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby moonski » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 pm

thanks for all the reply.. it seems different DIYers have different experience. it all boils down to once taste. I think I will go with the Tango route.. Hopefully this will give me good result. thanks again..
moonski
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby brady » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 am

Bai, I will go with Rene's recommendation above
brady
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:06 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby Gau_Ban » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:32 am

I know that some of the local DIYers order transformers from Edrel Sison.

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23069
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:33 pm

Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp. Which one..

Postby moonski » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 pm

brady wrote:Bai, I will go with Rene's recommendation above


Bai, are you referring to the Tamura F2007? ang sakit ng price (x4 sa natipohan ko..) :sweat:

Gau_Ban wrote:I know that some of the local DIYers order transformers from Edrel Sison.

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23069


once i finalize which OPT to get then i'll get in touch with Edrel about the other needed irons..
moonski
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm


Return to DIY and Tubes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests