DIY Piyesa at Iba Pa (DIY Parts Gallery)

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

DIY Piyesa at Iba Pa (DIY Parts Gallery)

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:59 am

Hi All,

Im creating this topic to show what are the available DIY parts in the land of the "Clones".
I do encourage all of our fellow member residing or working in China/Hongkong to bring some of these parts locally to help our DIY community.

Of course selling will be posted on the buy and sell section.

Mods, if this will conflict to any forum rules, I am more than willing to submit in locking this topic.

Hope you can also shares your finds.

Pre-amp Case Very familiar :lol: :lol: :lol:
I volunteered to remove due to possible issue.

Amp Case: This case is Huge and Heavy 15 to 20Kg estimate
I volunteered to remove due to possible issue.

Simple yet Beautiful
Last edited by AbadSantos 7 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Re: DIY Piyesa at Iba Pa (DIY Parts Gallery)

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27 am

PCB Nelson Pass Aleph 100W into 8 ohms

AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:38 am

when the Americans decided to move production to china, technology transfer was inevitable....how i wished they moved them here instead.... ;)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:47 am

tony wrote:when the Americans decided to move production to china, technology transfer was inevitable....how i wished they moved them here instead.... ;)

And the saddest part of sustaining to teach these Technologies to Chinese are Filipinos :@ :@ :@
Last edited by AbadSantos 7 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 am

Capacitors:

Beware :!: :!: :!:

For Amplifier High Wattage and Class A Builder, you normally result to a large capacitance
value. Don't be fooled with this large and Pogie capacitors since the highest probability
these are FAKES :devil: :devil: :devil: Price indicators also are too good to be true.

AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:04 am

the idea of having a forum to share sources of parts for DIY is a good one, however, the idea of creating "clones" of patented designs is not. there have been arguments that creating those "clones" purely for personal use is probably acceptable, but it would be impossible for the mods to actually regulate that.

so let's avoid discussions of those clones in the forums. one thing we don't want to happen is some manufacturer running after us and suing us for encouraging and supporting activities they consider "illegal".

hope you understand. but please continue to provide tips on sourcing parts for general DIY projects. there are also hundreds of other designs that are public domain, so we can stick to those...

maybe we can hear from atty dante, jack and rvc, our global mods for ws.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 am

vintage_dog wrote:the idea of having a forum to share sources of parts for DIY is a good one, however, the idea of creating "clones" of patented designs is not. there have been arguments that creating those "clones" purely for personal use is probably acceptable, but it would be impossible for the mods to actually regulate that.

so let's avoid discussions of those clones in the forums. one thing we don't want to happen is some manufacturer running after us and suing us for encouraging and supporting activities they consider "illegal".

hope you understand. but please continue to provide tips on sourcing parts for general DIY projects. there are also hundreds of other designs that are public domain, so we can stick to those...

Sir VD,

Ack.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:23 am

AbadSantos 7 wrote:Capacitors:

For Amplifier High Wattage and Class A Builder, you normally result to a large capacitance
value. Don't be fooled with this large and Pogie capacitors since the highest probability
these are FAKES :devil: :devil: :devil: Price indicators also are too good to be true.

if those are fakes, then using an ESR meter is an easy and conclusive way to find out......i reserve my verdict until i get a chance to test them....
how much would this one cost? what are dimensions? does it come with a mounting clamp? thanks...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 am

tony wrote:

if those are fakes, then using an ESR meter is an easy and conclusive way to find out......i reserve my verdict until i get a chance to test them....
how much would this one cost? what are dimensions? does it come with a mounting clamp? thanks...

Hi Tony,

Ack. I stand corrected about my judgement as Fakes. But it makes me think at less than 600 pesos
a capacitor as big as Coke in can with high capacitance and Voltage rating.... :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

vintage_dog wrote:the idea of having a forum to share sources of parts for DIY is a good one, however, the idea of creating "clones" of patented designs is not. there have been arguments that creating those "clones" purely for personal use is probably acceptable, but it would be impossible for the mods to actually regulate that.

agreed, moderating for diyaudio, we get regular complaints from Rod Elliot about stealing his IP's....so those type of posts are quickly deleted...as a rule schematics are not allowed, although links to those are allowed, so that proper acknowledgement of the source of such is maintained...

cloning is rampant, as long as the circuit itself is not copied to the last detail without prior approval of the copyright owner, then cloning can be done....topologies are not copyrighted as long as it is also not patented...then there is reverse engineering...these are doable by diy'ers....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 am

AbadSantos 7 wrote:
tony wrote:

Hi Tony,

Ack. I stand corrected about my judgement as Fakes. But it makes me think at less than 600 pesos
a capacitor as big as Coke in can with high capacitance and Voltage rating.... :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:

the style of lettering implied it is a Hitachi OEM part, fyi, 47000ufd/100volts are for sale here in manila for 650, brand is Hitachi, so probably that is a rebranded Hitachi.....but have no fear, testing with an ESR meter will reveal its true specs....and to think that i bought the same spec caps in the usa for $30 a piece.... :lol:
there are guys over at http://www.elab.ph that sells ESR meters.....http://www.elab.ph/forum/index.php?topic=32916.0
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the tips..Yes ESR meters is one way to verify true value of a components.

Just my thinking, maybe it will give a true value once measured but the next question is about reliability.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Anyone to DIY CD Players.... 8) 8) 8)

Front Load Chassis

Top Load Chassis

AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 pm

tony wrote:

agreed, moderating for diyaudio, we get regular complaints from Rod Elliot about stealing his IP's....so those type of posts are quickly deleted...as a rule schematics are not allowed, although links to those are allowed, so that proper acknowledgement of the source of such is maintained...

cloning is rampant, as long as the circuit itself is not copied to the last detail without prior approval of the copyright owner, then cloning can be done....topologies are not copyrighted as long as it is also not patented...then there is reverse engineering...these are doable by diy'ers....

How about Nelson Pass Design which is publicly published and some PCB Boards where generated based on this design?

Will this fall under cloning?
Last edited by AbadSantos 7 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:08 pm

AbadSantos 7 wrote:Hi Tony,

Thanks for the tips..Yes ESR meters is one way to verify true value of a components.

Just my thinking, maybe it will give a true value once measured but the next question is about reliability.

Cheers.

derating improves reliability.....for a 100volt ecap, running them at 80volts for example is a good way to improve reliability....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:12 pm

tony wrote:
AbadSantos 7 wrote:Hi Tony,

Cheers.

derating improves reliability.....for a 100volt ecap, running them at 80volts for example is a good way to improve reliability....

Hi Tony,

Well noted.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:12 pm

AbadSantos 7 wrote:
tony wrote:

How about Nelson Pass Design which is publicly published and some PCB Boards where generated based on this design?

Will this fall under the cloning?

afaik, nelson pass's designs posted in his website are not restricted, i do not know that he sells boards or kits in the same manner that Rod Elliot does in his website....there are a lot of clones posted both at diyaudio and in his own (Pass) website....as long as you do not clone his current production commercial offerings, then i see no problem.....the same way that WM Leach posted plans for his amps and cloned by thousands of happy cloners (me included) all over the world....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Mods,

I am posting DIY parts available in my place to encourage DIY and not to encourage cloning.

Posting will be done to the best of my knowledge and in good faith that it is not included to the category of cloning.

Yes, I will be bringing some of these parts but not in commercial numbers. I will only support DIYer's who is dead
seriuos about his project which lacks the availability of parts locally.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi AB7,

Trademarks vary from company to company. For your own protection as well as that of our community, I, as both friend and moderator, strongly recommend that you do not engage in the commerce of parts that may put you and us in legal jeopardy. When in doubt don't. If certain physical characteristics have been trade marked and not just the logos and such, you may be in danger of incurring serious penalties under Philippine law and International law.

WS' terms of service expressly states that it does not support or condone any illegal activities. You are a member in very good standing. We would hate to lose you.

All the Best,

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

JackD201 wrote:Hi AB7,

Trademarks vary from company to company. For your own protection as well as that of our community, I, as both friend and moderator, strongly recommend that you do not engage in the commerce of parts that may put you and us in legal jeopardy. When in doubt don't. If certain physical characteristics have been trade marked and not just the logos and such, you may be in danger of incurring serious penalties under Philippine law and International law.

WS' terms of service expressly states that it does not support or condone any illegal activities. You are a member in very good standing. We would hate to lose you.

All the Best,

Jack

Sir Jack,

Got it and thanks.

I may request to lock this topic.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to DIY and Tubes