Qguy's Vintage Pioneer SX1050 restoration

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Qguy's Vintage Pioneer SX1050 restoration

Postby qguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:20 pm

A few weeks ago I got a Pioneer SX1050. it had a few issues, outer finish was not that great. woofer thumps when you power on, same thing happens when you click some of the switches. Tone defeats control will send a thump to the woofer after a few hours of use

Decided it was time for a restoration.....

Here are some pics of the before and after..

Nude with CD for size comparison

The wooden case before

after

Power supply protection circuit before

after

Power supply board A before

After

Power supply Board B before

After

Where is the heat sink ???

There it is

Heating the front panel walnut end caps before spraying on Cayin oven toaster

after spraying

Flat amp board before

After

My capacitor collection :) will add more to this,.. still need to do the tuner section and Tone control section

qguy
Master
Master

Re: Qguy's Vintage Pioneer SX1050 restoration

Postby mikeer2002ph » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 am

Nice! Now that's a responsible audiophile .. replacing caps as needed since caps have a design life of just 5-7 years of continuous use (equivalent "power on" hours).
mikeer2002ph

Postby philpath » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 am

Is there an improvement in the sound after the electrolytic tune up?
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

Dont know yet, will post once I am done, for all you know this amp may never produce music again :rofl:

philpath wrote:Is there an improvement in the sound after the electrolytic tune up?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby joejet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

I envy guys like you qguy. I wish I had learned electronics like you had so i can tinker with my own stuff. I've always loved electronics but I never had the chance to learn even a bit.
Anyway, that's a pretty nice receiver you're working on. And you're doing really good on your restoration. Keep us posted Sir.
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am

WHOA .. Who said I learned electronics ??? I have a screwdriver, actually cordless drill driver 8) makes blowing amps a lot faster and I can plug a soldering iron.. thats the extent of my electronics skills :rofl:

joejet wrote:I envy guys like you qguy. I wish I had learned electronics like you had so i can tinker with my own stuff. I've always loved electronics but I never had the chance to learn even a bit.
Anyway, that's a pretty nice receiver you're working on. And you're doing really good on your restoration. Keep us posted Sir.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Tjaderman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

Nice job, Q! :clap:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Very nice resto qguy! I need to recap the filter caps of my muse amp. They're rated at 10,000 microfarads at 100v. Can you give me an advice on where to source this? I need a pair. Tia! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Try Watson Electronics / Pacific Electronics / Eleshop / Deeco their all in Raon area. These were the recommended shops by some of the DIY in Pinoydvd. I was able to source most of my parts at Watson. although bigger caps is harder to get.

endrik35 wrote:Very nice resto qguy! I need to recap the filter caps of my muse amp. They're rated at 10,000 microfarads at 100v. Can you give me an advice on where to source this? I need a pair. Tia! ;)
qguy
Master
Master

Postby georgepogi69 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:48 pm

nice job Q....bilib ako sa patience mo...i know your SX will sing for a long time... :)
georgepogi69
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:28 pm

When it comes to this hobby, you dont need patience :)

georgepogi69 wrote:nice job Q....bilib ako sa patience mo...i know your SX will sing for a long time... :)
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Octaver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 pm

qguy wrote:When it comes to this hobby, you dont need patience :)

georgepogi69 wrote:nice job Q....bilib ako sa patience mo...i know your SX will sing for a long time... :)

Be careful Qguy if you don't have patience, you will become a Patient :rofl: :rofl:
Kidding aside! Please take note of the capacitor polarity and quick connector orientation :clap:
don'r forget to double check the solder you did not causing Short to other connections. :lol:
Congrats! Hope to hear a Success Restoration Process from you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 am

Cleaning output transistors....YIKES

At first I did not want to touch the output transistors for fear of screwing up, I asked around what is the benefit of cleaning / regreasing the transistors. Response was that for older units the thermal grease dries up and no longer conducts heat away from the transistor, resulting in over heating transistors when the amps is pushed too hard, basically you end up with a burnt out transistors. kinda like changing oil on an old car before racing it ;). Since I "race" my amp on occasions ;D I decided to go for it...

cleaned transistor and new insulation mica
Basically you remove the transistor, cleaned with tissue or clean rag. Apply THIN layer of NON CONDUCTIVE Thermal grease on both sides of the insulation mica and put the transistors, clean the pin and install....

I also regrease all those smaller three legged transistor
I used Unick thermal grease, 80 php at Watsons for a small size tube

This was one of the easiest process in the restoration.. a bit messy though as the grease sticks to everything, have a roll of tissue when you do this
qguy
Master
Master

Postby qguy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am

Finally back on duty

qguy
Master
Master

Postby joejet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 am

Beautiful!
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:15 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

qguy wrote:Finally back on duty

hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby mikeer2002ph » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 am

qguy wrote:Cleaning output transistors....YIKES

At first I did not want to touch the output transistors for fear of screwing up, I asked around what is the benefit of cleaning / regreasing the transistors. Response was that for older units the thermal grease dries up and no longer conducts heat away from the transistor, resulting in over heating transistors when the amps is pushed too hard, basically you end up with a burnt out transistors. kinda like changing oil on an old car before racing it ;). Since I "race" my amp on occasions ;D I decided to go for it...

cleaned transistor and new insulation mica
Basically you remove the transistor, cleaned with tissue or clean rag. Apply THIN layer of NON CONDUCTIVE Thermal grease on both sides of the insulation mica and put the transistors, clean the pin and install....

I also regrease all those smaller three legged transistor
I used Unick thermal grease, 80 php at Watsons for a small size tube

This was one of the easiest process in the restoration.. a bit messy though as the grease sticks to everything, have a roll of tissue when you do this

You may also want to consider the thermal compound meant for PC processors on your next 'maintenance' (shin-etsu G751 or Arctic Silver 5 [as5] - silver/silicone thermal compound) they have a higher heat conductivity index as compared to the normal silicone thermal and it stays 'wet' - doesnt dry up like the raon variants which requires cleanout/reapplication every year or 2.

Caveat with AS5 or shin-etsu G751 is you only apply a very very thin layer, it's also more expensive than your raon thermal compound variants but more than compensates the price with better 'tracking' of the bias transistor/thermal diode since heat isnt being kept 'long' on the transistor package
mikeer2002ph

Postby joy_francisco » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Last edited by joy_francisco on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joy_francisco
Master
Master

Postby qguy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm

I was advised to stay away from thermal compounds designed for PC as some of them are electrically conductive, must be the silver content, which makes it more conductinve to heat but makes it conductive to electricity. I think processors get away from this as the case of the processor is plastic and the chassis of the PC is not used as ground.

The grease on the small transistors were actually still wet after 36 yrs.. the one on large heat sink was dried and powdery

mikeer2002ph wrote:

You may also want to consider the thermal compound meant for PC processors on your next 'maintenance' (shin-etsu G751 or Arctic Silver 5 [as5] - silver/silicone thermal compound) they have a higher heat conductivity index as compared to the normal silicone thermal and it stays 'wet' - doesnt dry up like the raon variants which requires cleanout/reapplication every year or 2.

Caveat with AS5 or shin-etsu G751 is you only apply a very very thin layer, it's also more expensive than your raon thermal compound variants but more than compensates the price with better 'tracking' of the bias transistor/thermal diode since heat isnt being kept 'long' on the transistor package
qguy
Master
Master

Postby tony » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 pm

i seldom use silicon grease nowadays...they are messy....

i use these silicon pads instead....

i also use Kapton tapes...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to DIY and Tubes