Can I use mundorf instead of regular tantalums /electrolytic

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Can I use mundorf instead of regular tantalums /electrolytic

Postby qguy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 am

Can i use Mundorf capacitors, the one with the wire on both ends like this

to replace tantalums or electrolyte.. may polarity din ba ang mundorfs ?
qguy
Master
Master

Re: Can I use mundorf instead of regular tantalums /electrolytic

Postby Octaver » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

qguy wrote:Can i use Mundorf capacitors, the one with the wire on both ends like this

Qquy, The one in the picture is NP (None Polar). However, as general rule, there is direction on the input and output based on the label, upon reading the label let say Mundorf, the side for the M is the input while the F side is the output.
There are Mudorf Caps that are Electrolytic (with polarity).
What particular application are you going to use them?
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Its for a power amp board, it has + and - signs on the pcb board
qguy
Master
Master

Postby brady » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am

those Mundorf polys are way much better than any lytic... your problem is the available space
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

Ok thanks.. I think I have enough space, I can make a "paper" capacitor in the size and shape and test the space.

The cap in question is 0.68 in value. I was informed to get Film caps for these as electrolytics are not stable for these values. Problem ko na lang I think will be the diameter of the hole of the PCB which I dont want to drill.....for now

brady wrote:those Mundorf polys are way much better than any lytic... your problem is the available space
qguy
Master
Master

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 am

qguy wrote:Ok thanks.. I think I have enough space, I can make a "paper" capacitor in the size and shape and test the space.

The cap in question is 0.68 in value. I was informed to get Film caps for these as electrolytics are not stable for these values. Problem ko na lang I think will be the diameter of the hole of the PCB which I dont want to drill.....for now

brady wrote:those Mundorf polys are way much better than any lytic... your problem is the available space

You need to consider also the Voltage Cap Value. The replacement should be same or higher.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks.. I think voltage is not an issue with Mundorf. puro 400 and higher yung sa mundorf kaya ang laki, at most the ones that I need are in the 10 to 63 volts range

AbadSantos 7 wrote:
qguy wrote:Ok thanks.. I think I have enough space, I can make a "paper" capacitor in the size and shape and test the space.

You need to consider also the Voltage Cap Value. The replacement should be same or higher.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:51 pm

qguy wrote:Thanks.. I think voltage is not an issue with Mundorf. puro 400 and higher yung sa mundorf kaya ang laki, at most the ones that I need are in the 10 to 63 volts range

Hi Qguy,

Though Im a newbie in DIY, its not logical to me you will change a 10V or 63V with 400V capacitor. Capacitance
I believe can be active based on a the working voltage of the capacitor.

Another understanding is the Voltage rating is based on the rail voltage existing on a given rail and add up some
factors to address some unexpected surge. What Im doing is rail voltage*150% should be OK.

Anyway I can be wrong. Lets wait for other DIY expert advice if this is doable.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm

basta ba kakasya sa available space bakit hindi, kahit nakabitin pa pwede na rin....basta masaya ka..... :D

tantalums are for timing circuits, they have no place in audio circuits, coupling n or bypass, avoid them at all costs.....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Octaver wrote:
qguy wrote:Can i use Mundorf capacitors, the one with the wire on both ends like this

Qquy, The one in the picture is NP (None Polar). However, as general rule, there is direction on the input and output based on the label, upon reading the label let say Mundorf, the side for the M is the input while the F side is the output.
There are Mudorf Caps that are Electrolytic (with polarity).
What particular application are you going to use them?

polarity in this case is the inner or outer foil, but for dc it doesn't matter.....for bypass, the outer foil should connect to ground.....for coupling, the outer foil should connect to plate or collector in case of ss....now you can ask mundorf which is the leads for the outer/inner foil...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 am

tantalums are solid in construction and does not contain liquids inside like an ecap would, so i doubt that it needs replacing......unless of course it was used as a couling cap, where replacing it with a mundorf will work....even for bypass i will not use tantalums.....they are know to cause oscillations in some circuits....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby john » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 am

As per size alone, such upgrade is not suited. And it will not yield dramatic result.
john
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Octaver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Most of the DIY'r use the Caps mark as the orientation for input and output. As you read the input is the M and the output is the F. Never saw anybody use it as a Polarity.
QGuy, these Mundorf are quite expensive, make sure you upgrade only the Audio signal path.
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 pm

i remember during my teens, Japanese paper caps are marked indicating the outside foils...wonder what the case with Mundorf is..... ;)

tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm

for those technically inclined, this is the bible of capacitors.....http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/index.html
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to DIY and Tubes