Stromberg Carlson amps

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Stromberg Carlson amps

Postby edgarryan » Mon May 14, 2012 1:35 am

Any of you guys had any experience with Stromberg Carlson amps? Took a gamble on a Stromberg Carlson ASR 220 for $200 recently. A tube amp, it was pulled out of a console and restored to working condition by the seller. From the pics on the listing, it may need new RCA sockets. The speaker binding posts are screw type and labeled -C, 4, and 8 for each channel. I have no idea what the -C means. It also needs a cabinet. Since it would take months before it reaches me (I will have it sent to my aunt in the US and she will send it to me through balikbayan box), I really don't know how it performs. Will its sonic qualities be equal or greater to, let's say, a Dared MP5? I want to know if I bought a dud. Thanks.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Stromberg Carlson amps

Postby hypertriode » Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 am

Welcome to the glorious world of vintage tubes edgarryan!
I have worked on an ASR-220 before. Besides good looking, it's a wonderful sounding piece of equipment! Don't quote me but I still haven't listened to a (correctly restored) vintage tube amp that doesn't sound good.
The C is for common or negative speaker terminal.
"A lot more involving" is the first description (of its SQ) that comes to my mind if compared to the MP-5.
I'm sure it will be worth the wait bro! :-)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby edgarryan » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for the feedback, hyper. Medyo nag-aalangan lang ako dahil parang wala akong makitang information about that particular model on the web. I guess I have to prepare for its arrival. I am quite content with the MP5 I am currently using, but I didn't want to pass the ASR 220 up. As I said, it was a gamble. In three months, we will see and listen to the difference. Hehehe.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby badongsky » Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi sir edgarryan, like you i'm also waiting for my vintage tube amp (Waters Conley Phonola 2759) soon arriving after more than 2 months of waiting haha. In the meantime what i did was i ordered a set of Sam's photofact so i could study the amp while waiting for it, maybe you could do the same to kill boredom and create more excitement haha. It includes the schematic diagram, parts list and pictures etc

if this is your amp's model then you are in luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-STROMBERG- ... 3f152fe55a

HTH

Rob
badongsky

Postby tony » Tue May 15, 2012 7:17 am

is that the one on top?

tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm

badongsky wrote:Hi sir edgarryan, like you i'm also waiting for my vintage tube amp (Waters Conley Phonola 2759) soon arriving after more than 2 months of waiting haha. In the meantime what i did was i ordered a set of Sam's photofact so i could study the amp while waiting for it, maybe you could do the same to kill boredom and create more excitement haha. It includes the schematic diagram, parts list and pictures etc

if this is your amp's model then you are in luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-STROMBERG- ... 3f152fe55a

HTH

Rob

I don't think that is the same model. The CS ASR-220C is different from the A or B versions. The C has more bells and whistles, if my research is correct. Perhaps, my unit will have the schematic at the bottom plate, since other CS amps have this.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby badongsky » Tue May 15, 2012 11:57 pm

i see.

well, it's time for the waiting game hope you find more info about your amp
badongsky

Postby edgarryan » Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm

If things go right, and all components work as they should, this is roughly how my future system will be:

Sources (1 TT with MC cart, connected to SUT + 1 linear tracking TT with MM cart + 1 TT with mono cart connected to GE VR preamp + 1 CDP + 1 6-CD changer)

to

2 Source selectors for each channel (one for TTs and one for CDPs)

to

2 Mono preamps (one for each channel; selector output for TTs will go to phono inputs and selector output for CDPs will go to tape inputs)

to

2 Tone and volume controls (one for each preamp)

to

CD2 tube buffer

to

SC ASR 220 tube amp

to

Speakers

Does this sound OK? Or is this an overkill? I might get rid of the tube buffer if it doesn't make any sonic difference.

EDIT: Or I could have a separate mono set-up.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 am

Well, the amp arrived last, last Saturday and had it checked by hypertriode last Monday. The amp was in working condition. Even the tubes were all original. Had some sort of cabinet made for it, and installed it in my system last Saturday. Had to blast it with lots and lots of contact cleaner, though. But when it finally worked, WOW! I haven't been this involved with the sound before. Violins sound crisp and clear, and the bass was really pronounced. Thought the Dared MP5 was already very good, but when I started listening to the SC, the disparity was really evident. Engaging, really. This must be where my amp upgrade ends.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 am

Do the phonostages in these vintage amps really have low volume? Tried connecting my turntable to it, and I can only hear sound near the 2 o'clock position of the volume control.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Almost a year and no replies so far. Anyone have an idea?
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Is this what you have? http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/stromberg_stereo_amplifier_series_103.html

A photo would help.

My guess is you need a Phono preamp to be connected to the phono inputs of your amplifier.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby don » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 pm

check setting if your cartridge is MC or MM vs your amp phono input selection (MC-if avlbl or MM)
don
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 pm

may even be for ceramic pickup... :)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 pm

edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 pm

don wrote:check setting if your cartridge is MC or MM vs your amp phono input selection (MC-if avlbl or MM)

My MC cartridge is connected to a SUT. My other cartridges are MM.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 pm

tony wrote:may even be for ceramic pickup... :)

Yup, my guess is that the inputs are for a ceramic pickup. Any way of modifying the amp to accommodate an MM cartridge?
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:53 pm

yes, you can add an outboard mm phono preamp or if there is space inside, an ic phono preamp...rene rivo makes those i think...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm

tony wrote:yes, you can add an outboard mm phono preamp or if there is space inside, an ic phono preamp...rene rivo makes those i think...

Thanks. I'll check if adding an outboard mm phono preamp works.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Stromberg Carlson amps - There's a Jedi inside!

Postby edgarryan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:39 am

Something's (horribly) wrong with my amp!

Imagine a bee buzzing by or a Jedi lightsaber cutting through air.

That's the sound my amp makes when the volume is adjusted.

Also, noise that wasn't there before is emitted when I turn the volume up, even if there's nothing playing. Only the amp is on.

What could the reason be? Tubes gone bad? Capacitors and other thing-a-majigs in the circuit acting weirdly?

Help!
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to DIY and Tubes