Glue for MDF

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: Glue for MDF

Postby BingoDelMar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 am

qguy wrote:somehow cant seem to find this silicon glue for wood. The only thing i can find on the net is the silicon used for glass, which exhibits all the properties you mentioned which is great for aquariums. Somehow flexible glue is something that you may not want, I would think that a hard glue would be advisable to prevent flexing of the panels.

out of curiuosity can you point me to this silicon glue thats designed for wood

Check this out http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=2.. :)
BingoDelMar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:43 am

qguy wrote:From what I have read it will. I have had several commercial speakers and none of them has screws or nails, just glue

FlyMe wrote:Pasingit. Will the glue hold well with out the screws? I planning to use dowels and laminated MDF so I dont have to worry about finishing the encosure.

That is correct, it should hold well without issues. Glues nowadays are very good that most failures come from weak materials or improper joint and not from the glue joint itself.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am

BingoDelMar wrote:
qguy wrote:somehow cant seem to find this silicon glue for wood. The only thing i can find on the net is the silicon used for glass, which exhibits all the properties you mentioned which is great for aquariums. Somehow flexible glue is something that you may not want, I would think that a hard glue would be advisable to prevent flexing of the panels.

out of curiuosity can you point me to this silicon glue thats designed for wood

Check this out http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=2.. :)

I have used titebond I and titebond II and have always imported them, are these available locally?
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Agent007 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:44 pm

timber715 wrote:I have used titebond I and titebond II and have always imported them, are these available locally?

am not sure Bro, i hope it is now...otherwise if u have an on-going business dealing with a big lumber/hardware supplier in your locality why don't u ask him to import it for u...am sure this product will sell here well if given good exposure... ;) :)
Agent007
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Revelation for me yung Elmer's wood glue = Elmer's white glue. I always thought the beige one was stronger and more water resistant. Elmer's white is water soluble right? Is the wood glue water soluble?
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby timber715 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Gino wrote:Revelation for me yung Elmer's wood glue = Elmer's white glue. I always thought the beige one was stronger and more water resistant. Elmer's white is water soluble right? Is the wood glue water soluble?

Yes... and is not designed for projects that see water like outdoor works.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

its basically PVA glue, my kids use a lot of elmers glue at school, what i do is just buy the pioneer wood glue much cheaper and dense and i just refill their elmers containers.

Gino wrote:Revelation for me yung Elmer's wood glue = Elmer's white glue. I always thought the beige one was stronger and more water resistant. Elmer's white is water soluble right? Is the wood glue water soluble?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 pm

qguy wrote:MSM,

What type of screw did you use ? Did you pre=drill the holess ?

Forgot what those screws are called, but its not your usual metal or even wood screws. Its colored black and is supposed to be used for MDF and similar types of materials :^)

Yup, I pre drilled the holes with a smaller drill bit. :)

I used some sort of scalpel (??is that what its called?? :?: ) to spread the glue evenly across the entire surface of the MDF. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby timber715 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:07 am

I do remember making test stands using mdf with no fasteners but glue.
they can hold weight, I even sand loaded them...
the nice thing about mdf is they come flat and smooth and requires little work. BUT, do take caution as the dust it produces is very bad for the health. first time I used it, it got me down for 3 days and that was a good recovery then.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Pioneer Epoxy glue for MDF

Postby qguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 am

Anyone tried those Clear Pioneer epoxy (not the quick setting type) for MDF ?. I was thinking the PVA glue would have a hard type curing for joining two large panels face to face, like two baffles.
qguy
Master
Master

Previous

Return to DIY and Tubes