5AR4s

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: 5AR4s

Postby tony » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:31 am

brady wrote:Hi Tony. A quick question re stacked diodes.

I have around 800vac on the 2ndary, unloaded, so I stack 2 1000PIV diodes for each leg of the bridge. I kept busting both the diodes and the fuse to the mains transformer. Read other forums, and I shunted each diode with 1M. Problem disappeared.

But I do not understand. Why a shunt R? I imagined that such voltage divider works only for series C.

TIA for whatever free lessons you can give .... :)

800volts rms is about 2400volts peak to peak, this peak voltage is what the diodes see when in cut-off, so 3 1kv diodes in series would have been better, shunting it with 1meg resistors each ensures equal voltages are seen by each diode when not conducting or during reverse cycle of the input voltage...
Last edited by tony on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brady » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 am

Aaah...

but wouldnt the R allow a leak? however small? sorry for this rather dumb questions.
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:20 pm

brady wrote:Aaah...

but wouldnt the R allow a leak? however small? sorry for this rather dumb questions.

yes there is a leak, but when the diodes are forward conducting, these leakage currents will not matter.......
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to DIY and Tubes