DIY F5 pure class A power amp(Nelson Pass design)

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: The First Watt B1 Buffer Preamplifier(Nelson Pass design)

Postby endrik35 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 pm

AbadSantos 7 wrote:Doc,

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Baka pedeng marinig yan...

Sure, dalaw ka kay Leslie pagbakasyon mo. Kitakits tayo Loi :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brainf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Thank you for the glowing review Doc. I always hesitate to comment on any of my diy-work because it's hard to remain objective after the time, effort (and money spent!). :D I am so happy to have you as my project reviewer with golden ears and the ability to articulate so well.

Loi, let us know when you're in the country next, will be honored to have you visit. This project would not have been possible without the chassis you sourced for this particular project! (Class A amps run *HOT!*).

Edrel did a fabulous job on the traffo! I'm currently waiting for the caps to do it justice, but even now it already sounds so nice - exactly like how Doc described it in his review of the proof of concept prototype :$
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Always a pleasure to audition your DIY projects Leslie! Thanks! Your the man!!! :clap: :clap: :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edrel sison » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Leslie! I almost forgot I made you one. Its been a while. I am glad your project is doing well. Made me consider to build one like yours. What is the correct capacitor that needs to be installed and what voltage?

Thanks to Endrik for that wonderful review. I hope to listen to these gears one day.
Last edited by edrel sison on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edrel sison
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm

edrel sison wrote:Hi Leslie! I almost forgot I made you one. Its been a while. I am glad your project is doing well. Made me consider to build like one like yours. What is the correct capacitor that needs to be installed and what voltage?

Thanks to Endrik for that wonderful review. I hope to listen to these gears one day.

Your welcome Sir Edrel. Your traffo's quality is up there with the likes of Hammond and Nuvotem! World class!
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brainf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 pm

edrel sison wrote:Hi Leslie! I almost forgot I made you one. Its been a while. I am glad your project is doing well. Made me consider to build like one like yours. What is the correct capacitor that needs to be installed and what voltage?

Yeah... I literally take ages for ground up project builds! The original F5 design spec'd by Nelson Pass has 4x15,000uF 25V PER rail i.e. 60,000uF per rail or 120,000uF in total for both + and - rails. I'm waiting to receive the caps Doc mentioned... 3x33,000uF per rail. Barely enough space inside with the ATS powerplant in there! :lol:

I know where I'm going to source ALL my critical transformers from now on... :rock:

Give us a shoutout if your in the vicinity of QC sometime!
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edrel sison » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:17 pm

thanks endrik and leslie! i think i have some aerovox 5700uf capacitors that i can stack to make a bank. where does one get the PCBs? do you happen to have a link for evaluating the specs? thanks.
edrel sison
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Nice caps there Edrel. That's going to be a pretty big bank though! :)

Sent you an email for the other items so we won't hijack Doc's thread. (Peace, Doc!) :)
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 pm

brainf wrote:Nice caps there Edrel. That's going to be a pretty big bank though! :)

Sent you an email for the other items so we won't hijack Doc's thread. (Peace, Doc!) :)

Les, you can hijack my thread anytime!!! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Les,

For your next project let me know your BOM, I can source some parts here in my place.

How about the the Amp Chassis Photos I sent to you?

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 pm

endrik35 wrote:
brainf wrote:Nice caps there Edrel. That's going to be a pretty big bank though! :)

Hi Doc,

How about changing the title :lol: :lol: :lol:
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 am

AbadSantos 7 wrote:Hi Les,

For your next project let me know your BOM, I can source some parts here in my place.

How about the the Amp Chassis Photos I sent to you?

Cheers.

Appreciate that very much Loi! Really awesome chassis available in your area.
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 am

endrik35 wrote:...

Thanks Doc but we'll keep it on topic i.e. DIY PASS Designs and personal experiences in pursuit of higher-fi on a budget. :D
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Re: DIY F5 pure class A power amp(Nelson Pass design)

Postby narayan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Congrats Les :clap: When Loi is in town, maybe we can listen to this latest creation of yours ;)
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby trod93 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 am

Great job on the amp and preamp. Awesome look! Kapag nakakakita ako ng ganitong trabaho parang gusto ko na rin matuto ng electronics. Congrats!
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:48 am

narayan wrote:Congrats Les :clap: When Loi is in town, maybe we can listen to this latest creation of yours ;)

Sure! You'll be glad to see the SL1200 I got from you courtesy of Doc in its new home in my humble system too. :)
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 am

trod93 wrote:Great job on the amp and preamp. Awesome look! Kapag nakakakita ako ng ganitong trabaho parang gusto ko na rin matuto ng electronics. Congrats!

Can't take any credit for this. Before i met Doc E. I was content with diy projects that were working and safe. Now they have to be aesthetically pleasing too! Haay... i spent more time working on then chassis than on the board and testing :lol:

Definately a positive evolution :clap: Thanks Doc.

Btw this project is not complex or hard to build at all. Sourcing good components from all over is the difficult part!
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm

brainf wrote:
trod93 wrote:Great job on the amp and preamp. Awesome look! Kapag nakakakita ako ng ganitong trabaho parang gusto ko na rin matuto ng electronics. Congrats!

Can't take any credit for this. Before i met Doc E. I was content with diy projects that were working and safe. Now they have to be aesthetically pleasing too! Haay... i spent more time working on then chassis than on the board and testing :lol:

Definately a positive evolution :clap: Thanks Doc.

Btw this project is not complex or hard to build at all. Sourcing good components from all over is the difficult part!

You're too kind Les. I believe that form and function goes hand in hand. . .but I also believe in the "sleeper" look! Looks ordinary but when it sounds off . . .! Kaboom! Tulala lahat! ;) Pangulat lang. More power on your magnificent builds and Godbless!
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

narayan wrote:Congrats Les :clap: When Loi is in town, maybe we can listen to this latest creation of yours ;)

Sir Obet,

Musta na po?

Medyo matatagalan pa po me to go back. Anyway once may chance I will PM you so that I hear this marvelous project of Les...

Les,

Once I completed my pre-amp project, Im sure I will go Class A.

Cheers.
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I've read that master jojoD is making an F5 power amp mated to a dcb1 preamp. Same setup as yours Leslie. I'm very happy about this diy craze. I'm pretty sure master jojoD's build will be awesome too. Napapadalas bisita ko kay Leslie just to hear the dcb1 and F5. Even at low volume, details abound with tactile bass! Thanks Nelson Pass for sharing your gifts! :) Loi, paguwi mo, sabay na kayo ni Obet at Tony! I assure you na hindi mawawala ngiti niyo. . . ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and Tubes