DIY F5 pure class A power amp(Nelson Pass design)

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: The First Watt B1 Buffer Preamplifier(Nelson Pass design)

Postby endrik35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:33 am

philpath wrote:Invited ba ako sa ribbon cutting niyan?

Kay Leslie po yung F5 project Senor KULEET, hindi saken ;) Sa kanya kapo magpaalam

Les, was able to find a pic of an F5 amp built by Sir Doug of DIY audio, . . .very nice. Looks like a "powerplant" to me. . .

F5 power amp

PLUS this. . .

B1 preamp

DENR warning! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby philpath » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:38 am

WOW. Looks like V engines. Have you had a listening session with this classmate? My classmate will accompany me to listen to this. And we will talk about DOC ENDRICK'S future upgrades while listening!!!! ;) ;) ;)
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:41 am

philpath wrote:WOW. Looks like V engines. Have you had a listening session with this classmate? My classmate will accompany me to listen to this. And we will talk about DOC ENDRICK'S future upgrades while listening!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Klasmeyt,napipikon na ko sayo ha? Pag nagkita tayo, oombagin na kita! You keep talking about upgrades, how come I have become an upgrade king? I used to have arc, cj, krell and other high end products in th late 80's and 90's. Now I have DOWNGRADED to a melos,muse, diy pass b1 preamp ang a CHINA made vincent hybrid amp. If you call that upgrade, then your using a FAKE webster dictionary! Grrr!:-S

Mods,sorry sa OT, malapit ko na masapak tong doctor na to! Ang KUUULLLEEEET eh!:-)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:29 pm

endrik35 wrote:
philpath wrote:WOW. Looks like V engines. Have you had a listening session with this classmate? My classmate will accompany me to listen to this. And we will talk about DOC ENDRICK'S future upgrades while listening!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Klasmeyt,napipikon na ko sayo ha? Pag nagkita tayo, oombagin na kita! You keep talking about upgrades, how come I have become an upgrade king? I used to have arc, cj, krell and other high end products in th late 80's and 90's. Now I have DOWNGRADED to a melos,muse, diy pass b1 preamp ang a CHINA made vincent hybrid amp. If you call that upgrade, then your using a FAKE webster dictionary! Grrr!:-S

Mods,sorry sa OT, malapit ko na masapak tong doctor na to! Ang KUUULLLEEEET eh!:-)

Basta ako DOC hindi kita kakampihan..alam ko ikaw pa rin ang Upgrade King :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

The First Watt B1 Buffer Preamplifier(Nelson Pass design)

Postby docsialu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Hail to the upgrade king! Hail doc endrick ;)
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby endrik35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:13 pm

docsialu wrote:Hail to the upgrade king! Hail doc endrick ;)

Sumali pa kayo Sandy and Loi! ;)
HAIL TAU MU! :lol:
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brainf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Upgrade or Downgrade - it's all fun! ;)

Thanks Doc for the F5 pix. (You already know what my projects look like - haha!). But I'm making an honest effort to give them better "homes" - thanks to your influence and Loi's contacts. :D
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brainf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 am

endrik35 wrote: <snip>. Les will try to fit in the salas
shunt regulator inside the b1 preamp. <snip>

"Burning it in" now (aka extended listening and stress testing) :)
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby philpath » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:19 pm

UPGRADE IS KING AND HE IS THE KING OF UPGRADES!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 pm

At last, I was able to get the B1 preamp from Leslie's place after the Salas shunt upgrade a few hours ago. Took him two days to install the Salas shunt and replace the dale-vishay resistors with Kiwame's. When I entered his sala, I heard sonorous bliss! :rock: What was playing was his pc audio files connected to a logitech squeezebox connected to the upgraded B1 preamp connected to an old QED high current amp powering Monitor audio RS6 speakers! I was dumbfounded! The Salas shunt uprgrade was worthy of all that hype and hard labor. The basic B1 preamp was one hell of a preamp to begin with. . .the Salas shunt upgrade took it to another level!!! Marked improvement was noted on the mids with increased bass output. It's almost midnight but I'm still up and about listening to music, pure, clean. . .and definitely tube like. . .The amp I paired the pass B1 preamp is a Vincent sp-331, an excellent hybrid amp powering my Sonus signums. . .Well im so happy that my melos pre-amp and muse amp combo will have to take the backstage for now. .Thanks Leslie for a wonderful job!!! :clap: :clap: :) :)

According to Leslie, it handily beat his DCB1 preamp(another excellent DIY preamp) and the first time he heard the B1 preamp with the Salas upgrade, he was overwhelmed. . .and sad. . . that I will take the B1 preamp from him in a few days:)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 am

congrats and thanks for sharing your journey and adventure with this preamp :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby endrik35 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 am

vintage_dog wrote:congrats and thanks for sharing your journey and adventure with this preamp :)

Thanks Sir VD and Godbless! The DIY route is defintely cheaper than branded but it does not necessarily mean it's inferior. . .it can hold it's own against some megabuck pre-amps I know. Audio bliss doesn't have to be expensive. . . :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

Congratz, Doc! Hope to hear the upgraded B1 in my system! :) :)
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 am

Tjaderman wrote:Congratz, Doc! Hope to hear the upgraded B1 in my system! :) :)

Oo naman. Sana libre ka thursday ng hapon para maipares naten yung B1 sa Jeff Rowland amp mo! :) Salamat sa pagrekomenda sa Vincent amp. . Sir BI este Sir Cal! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brainf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 am

Thank you for the kind words and first (or is it second?) impressions Doc.

Yes, I'll definitely be missing it now. Happy to hear that you share the same observations in your system - no doubt the Sonus will do better justice to the sweet and detailed midrange the Salas shunt brought about.

Hope it didn't keep you up TOO late last night... it *IS* a working day today. :D

Enjoy! (As for me.. now I need to crack open my DCB1 soon, real soon!).
brainf
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tjaderman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:50 am

endrik35 wrote:

Oo naman. Sana libre ka thursday ng hapon para maipares naten yung B1 sa Jeff Rowland amp mo! :) Salamat sa pagrekomenda sa Vincent amp. . Sir BI este Sir Cal! ;)

Huwag lang today, Doc! Sked natin next Thursday!....welcome, akala ko i-dispose mo na si Vincent,eh!...Hindi po ako BI, Doc Upgrader!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Re:

Postby endrik35 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 am

Tjaderman wrote:
endrik35 wrote:

Huwag lang today, Doc! Sked natin next Thursday!....welcome, akala ko i-dispose mo na si Vincent,eh!...Hindi po ako BI, Doc Upgrader!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, next Thursday its a date. Will try to bring beer, kelbasa and schublig sausages from Santi's. Palamigin mo na yung beer!!! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Re:

Postby Tjaderman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 am

endrik35 wrote:
Ok, next Thursday its a date. Will try to bring beer, kelbasa and schublig sausages from Santi's. Palamigin mo na yung beer!!! ;)

Oks! Akin na ang Cervesa! 8) 8)
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Time to update this thread. The B1 preamp had a single rail Salas shunt installed inside. Sound? like a million bucks, surprising for a DIY project but knowing Nelson Pass, the B1 preamp with Salas shunt will give you high end sound without breaking the bank. The basic B1(without shunt) was even compared to an 18,000 USD line hybrid preamp. . .
Concert fidelity CF-080. . .
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4 ... delity.htm

and the basic B1 was able to hold it's own :clap:

Time for a partner. . .

A Nelson Pass DIY F5 25 watts pure class A power amp perhaps? ;)

* Notice the heavy duty traffo made by Edrel Sison? high quality craftmanship!(sounds better than a toroidal traffo IMHO ;) )
The 4 caps are only temporary, 10,000 microfarads each, soon to be replaced with three industrial grade Cornell Dubilier caps (33,000 microfarads each)

Heard the F5 mated to a B1 a few hours ago. . .the sound is ultra clean and detailed without sounding sterile. The mids, warm, lush and romantic, highs mids and lows in perfect balance!. . .true high end definition. . .It can even drive low sensitivity speakers with ease. . .I fell in love immediately :inlove:

Forget the ultra expensive amps with high end names. . .THIS is the real deal!!!
Costing less than 50k for the pair. . .I can say that the B1 and F5 is truly a match made in heaven!!! :) :clap:
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Doc,

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Baka pedeng marinig yan...
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and Tubes