Dampalit Malabon 2010

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Dampalit Malabon 2010

Postby tony » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Dec. 27, 2010 i was invited to be one of 4 judges in their anual STEREO shoot-out. Malabon has been known to hosts such affairs on a yearly basis, this year i have lot's of time after a  6 year stint in Sahkalin, Russia.....

my wife's cousin Boy is also an enthusiast and was helping one of the participants, this is his set-up:

off to the venue, a basketball court in Dampalit, this competetion is called "Juniors", the speakers being, one 15 or 18 inch woofer and various combinations for mids and highs.

the 1,2,3 finishers all used Ruel Felix's SP3 tube preamp clones, media used were all CD's and each participant played the same program materilal from the cd's one after the other....judging then becomes pretty straighforward.....kudos to the organizers, mr toti gregorio and company....i had a grand time specially with the finale performance, "Hotel California"...

tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Dampalit Malabon 2010

Postby planarribbon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Masaya!

susmaryosep, does the term "juniors" refer to size or the age of the contestants? kasi, if it refers to size, aba! kung yung mga rig na yon, eh, "junior" ano pa kaya hitsura ng "senior"?!?

but it sounds (pardon the pun) like a very interesting event.

wish i was there.

mabuhay si mang toti!
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

i heard na tuloy yung "senors category" sa dec. 30......no limits sa gamit or set-up, most likely disco type ang music...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am

errata:

the 1,2,3 finishers all used Ruel Felix's SP3 tube preamp clones

i would like to correct my mistake, the creator of these fabulous SP3 clones is actually Jun Garcia, my bad...... I was told later on, sorry my bad.... :rock:
Last edited by tony on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ruel felix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 am

:)
Last edited by ruel felix on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruel felix

Postby ojof00l » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am

any news.pics sa "seniors"?
ojof00l
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 am

ojof00l wrote:any news.pics sa "seniors"?

hindi natuloy, bro.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby tony » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 pm

ruel felix wrote:GUD A.M SIR TONY, SABI NI MR,GARCIA AT NI MR, RONALD UNG CONTESTANT NUMBER 4 DAW ANG BET NINYO SA TUGTUGAN MALINAW SA SCORE CARD NA NAKITA KO PINAKAGUSTO NINYO ANG SET NUMBER 4? ISA PO KAYO SA JUDGE. SAAN PO NKABASE ANG INYONG PAKIKINIG? AT PAG JUDGE? SAMANTALANG PANG 6 PLACER ANG INYONG NAGUGUSTUHANG TUNOG NG SET UP? SALAMAT PO. MORE POWER! :)

ruel,

i thought nobody can put words in my mouth.........

i don't even remember who contestant number 4 was now, i only know my wife's cousin Gary aka Boy. all of the contestants i met only just before the competition.....

i just put the scores as i heard it after i heard it......

pansin ko lang, the players emphasized volume or sound levels instead of sound quality..many of the performances were screaming instead of singing, we had to stand up and go farther away...since competition yon, i thought that you(the players) should have played to the judges since we were the one's giving out the scores, that was what i thought how it should have been done.

the organising committee did the proper way imho. with regards scoring tallies....

i was handed a score card and i put the score after each and every performance.......my scores ranged from 6 to 9.....i do not remember now how i scored each and every contestant as i am not really interested in them individually, only on what i heard.....very subjective yon in case you did not notice...

my standards are basic, a trumpet should sound like a trumpet, i real life, a trumpet can really blare and not be hard on the ears..the kick drum should sound like it should...... ..most of the set-ups were short of that....the reason i requested for "hotel california" was that i am very familiar with how it sounds......in most of the set-ups, Don Henley was shouting, instead of singing....

i think i liked set-up number 1 and 3 but in the competitions, they fell short, magaling sa practice, malambing yung kanta ni Fred Panopio......

i also agree with the results, i thought it was right and fair.....i am also aware that all of the contestants are of the opinion that they should win first place, that is understandable, and i also know that there will be losers.....

but we all have to move on and learn from the experience.....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Dampalit Malabon 2012

Postby kabubi » Sun May 27, 2012 12:25 pm

di ba nagkaroon lang ng paligsahan kamakailan lang (ngayong taon, 2012)?

sana may makapagbahagi saten kung anong nangyari sa patimpalak ngayong taon. balita ko sumali si Ruel Felix...
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby egay » Sun May 27, 2012 1:59 pm

they used to do this in the basketball court near the church in concepcion - back in the late 80s and 90s.
i have a friend, a ham radio enthusiast (like me), who also joins the competions helping his father (also toti yata and name) during those times.

i have not been impressed by the SQs then, and I supposed even upto now (if i were there).
the "yabang" or "bragging rights" then was "HOW LOUD CAN YOU PLAY" until one of the drivers (or the amplifiers) give way ;(

i must admit i saw some impressive hardware then... growing up in the 60s exposed us to TUBES - and for me and my co-enthusiasts - we used those tubes in our ham radio amplifiers, not for our music kasi meron ng mga Sansui noon :clap: . Still, i saw several of those system builders used some LARGE tubes we used only for our kilowatt transmitting amplifiers.

i frequented dampalit, not for the audio but for the ham (radio) :lol:
and when i finally went into serious audio, my friend (Garcia is the family name) said he could build me an amp using "those tubes". But i was always "afraid" of those tubes. instead i went SS.

but by the looks of the people in the contest, it must have been quite a party there

cheers!

.e.
:clap:
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby northwardnimbus » Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 pm

reminds me of my mobile disco days. heeh. galing!
northwardnimbus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm

marami ring intriga......kasi dito sa atin, dalawang klase lang, yung natatalo at yung nadadaya..... :lol:
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to DIY and Tubes