Nices Simpliest TUBE Amp Schematics?

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Nices Simpliest TUBE Amp Schematics?

Postby pie-key » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:35 pm

hay! good day guys! nooby here just wanna ask a good suggestion, for a nice and simpliest DIY tube i could make for my audio pleasure....

a stereo type will do.... and need atleast 25w per channel... any suggestions mga sir? salamat ng madami....
pie-key

Re: Nices Simpliest TUBE Amp Schematics?

Postby Quiel » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:04 am

Simple and 25W may be too much to find.

For simple, google Spud amps, Single-ended tube amps.

For 25w (rather huge for tubes), you may need bigger output tubes which require playing with huge voltages. Another option is push-pull but in my dictionary, it's not a simple one to build. why the need for 25w anyway?

my two cents.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:55 am

hanap kang schematic diagram sa internet para sa isang 845 tube amp.
an 845 tube can dish out up to 25 watts of honey to your ears :D

good luck!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Gino » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:29 am

You say you are a noob. I hope a noob in making amps but not a noob when it comes to electronics DIY. These amps have lethal voltages stored even when unplugged. You must know how to work with these safely. If not, have a mentor who will look over your project during construction, handling, and testing. Good luck.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pie-key » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 am

WOW! thanks for the big appetizer :o ..... I had some major experience with small signal operation electronics, robotics and solid state amplification.... but never really into the TUBES.... i just want to explore these very unique sounding bulbs and get to hear them....

Ive heard few about the high voltage operation... yung isang local forum din sinabi that I need to learn muna the basics.... well entirely tama sila and found out that these tubes does need POWER... they told me to put care and some gounding tools/equipments....

sir! yung 845 tube po ba is a model ng amp or model number ng TUBE...? salamat in advance....

about push-pull.... hmm sir is it capable to handle 25w of power? what this differs from a regular tube amp..??

and Im a stereo addict.... :D i need atleast a 2 channel plus 1 bass speaker driver(tubed).... all-in-all making a 2.1channel... for my project

and follow-up na din po.... good speakers for this project? any suggestions? salamat mga sir you gave me a good headstart hehehehehe :clap:
pie-key

Postby Quiel » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:59 am

I find the threads in this forum (and others like Speakers) very informative.

Using Search, I got these:

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=135&hilit=push+pull

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/845se.html

The last one via Google coz I can't find one here.

I encourage browsing thru' old threads as I did find relevant info, more than what I was initially looking for. But yes, it takes time and effort. All part of the fun in this journey.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:11 am

pie-key,

845 is the tube.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby alexg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:18 am

I would not recommend an 845 to a newbie, we are dealing with very high voltage.

25 watt is too high of a power for a first tube amp. I would recommend to start with no more than B+ of 400VDC, tubes like EL84, EL34, KT88, 6L6 or other indirectly heater power tube. Go for a single ended design, simpler than push pull but with less power.

Get a tube amp friendly speakers first, I believe skee6 is selling a pair of Omega speakers, even a 2a3 should drive that.

Just my 2 cents. :D
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pie-key » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 am

SPUD amps! so simple yet basic....

845 QUESTIONS: luckily i found it interesting mga sir... but questions lang po.

heres the schematic: Image

the power stage: Image

1. im having problems with the parts/components.
TUBES - they used different tubes, are they available locally?
TRANSFORMERS - a bit though to source specific one.... but i think it can be biased or divided somewhat like that. any store i could score?
CAPACITORS - there are some i never heard before like this OIL type? never really seen this one....

2. whAT would be the exact model number for these tubes?
866a
6X4

3. about TRANSFORMERS?
bartolucci model 18 - is this an impeadance matcher sir? or somewhat filter... nooby qs here hehehe
are these available locally?
-2.5 vct
-250vct
- 3.15v
etc...

and some explanations po sana... i want to start up a test unit na po.... for a presentation salamat.... kaya eto mejo urgent po yung mga q&a ko salamat and paxenxa sa pagiging noobie hehehehehehehe :D
pie-key

Postby pie-key » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 am

alexg wrote:I would not recommend an 845 to a newbie, we are dealing with very high voltage.

25 watt is too high of a power for a first tube amp. I would recommend to start with no more than B+ of 400VDC, tubes like EL84, EL34, KT88, 6L6 or other indirectly heater power tube. Go for a single ended design, simpler than push pull but with less power.

Get a tube amp friendly speakers first, I believe skee6 is selling a pair of Omega speakers, even a 2a3 should drive that.

ouch! is there any design in particular that you might suggest sir? i kinda need a specific suggestions here.... for those TUBES

im quite familiar with these...EL84, EL34, KT88, 6L6 so happy :D

sir can you give me a design for these? salamat
pie-key

Postby pie-key » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm

which is the best TUBE for an AUDIO TUBE AMPLIFIER....

EL84
EL34
KT88
6L6
pie-key

Postby alexg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

pie-key wrote:
alexg wrote:I would not recommend an 845 to a newbie, we are dealing with very high voltage.

ouch! is there any design in particular that you might suggest sir? i kinda need a specific suggestions here.... for those TUBES

im quite familiar with these...EL84, EL34, KT88, 6L6 so happy :D

sir can you give me a design for these? salamat

What kind of speakers are you planning to drive and how much is your budget?

Contrary to popular belief, DIY is not cheap.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:43 am

kaya eto mejo urgent po yung mga q&a ko salamat and paxenxa sa pagiging noobie

if you are a newbie, do not do projects with more than 350volts dc......1000volts is scary....be very scared, it might save your life..... :!:

Contrary to popular belief, DIY is not cheap.

how very true.... 8)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pie-key » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:30 pm

yes mga sir.... ill take note of that... thanks very much....

about the cost, i just want to explore..... i have enough po siguro for my needs.... though siguro i need to take extra time searching for very affordable components here.... salamat ulit sa payo mga sir....
pie-key

Postby alexg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 am

So what speakers are you planning to drive with your tube amp?
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pie-key » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26 am

i haven't thought of that... but i planned to use two 40W(rms)/8ohm/8-10inch dia./voice type spekers or maybe some JBLs.... im not so sure right now... and everything is for the sake of science pa lang.... and experimenting on expensive ones might cost me.....

have any idea sir? suggestions... im planning to clone an audio innovation 25watter SE or PP type....
pie-key

Postby hypertriode » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:12 am

pie-key wrote:have any idea sir? suggestions... im planning to clone an audio innovation 25watter SE or PP type....

yeah, Class A! Way to go pie-key! :)

http://www.drtube.com/audioamp.htm#AI
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby pie-key » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 am

hypertriode wrote:
pie-key wrote:have any idea sir? suggestions... im planning to clone an audio innovation 25watter SE or PP type....

hahahaha! that would cost me many grans! hahahahaha....

im also looking after an ST70 stereo.... any idea how much good EL34 costs(range)? and some matched pair of 7199? any clue mga sir?
pie-key

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 am

pie-key wrote:
hypertriode wrote:

hahahaha! that would cost me many grans! hahahahaha....

im also looking after an ST70 stereo.... any idea how much good EL34 costs(range)? and some matched pair of 7199? any clue mga sir?

Kung ST70 lang, better try getting the built unit, rather than build one yourself (plus the fact na mahirap maghanap ng 7199). As the others have already mentioned, going DIY is not cost friendly ;) There are quite a number of PP amps available locally (try AMX or TrodT ), cheaper than building one yourself.

Also remember, half of the cost of the amp is in its power supply, and mind you, for the trannys alone, having one built to your specs will not come cheap ;)

Pero kung habol mo talaga DIY, just search for circuits posted in the net for the EL34, KT88 or 6550.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby pie-key » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am

NOOB QUESTION about capacitor used for TUBE AMPS.....

i think theres no problem with power supply capacitors.... but i do believe that there's a good chance that if i use the exact type of capacitor and which is which, i might get the best results...... hmmmm can i start a topic here for this factual thing....

mmf? im not sure, but does it mean MICROFARADs or perhaps MILIFARADs.... and the TYPE, what type should it be? OIL type or METAL FILMS should do? MYLARS are candidates? any suggestions sir.... its just an example po... salamat....
pie-key

Next

Return to DIY and Tubes