Modding the MF V-LPS

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: Modding the MF V-LPS

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Check first grounding between your turntable and the VLPS. Also ensure all solders are good.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby endrik35 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Mine has almost the same mods as that of Alex, Mundorf caps and kiwame resistors and a couple more , the main difference is in the power supply. My friend Leslie(brainf) made me a Salas shunt power supply( he also modded my VLPS, thank you!!! :clap: ). I agree with Alex that a modded VLPS can slug it toe to toe with more expensive phonostages. I don't feel any need to upgrade anymore. . .

Salas shunt PSU
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TIMSmiling » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 am

JoeyGS wrote:Check first grounding between your turntable and the VLPS. Also ensure all solders are good.

Yes, i've done these things, but I have found nothing. Could you be more specific?
TIMSmiling

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Try to provide a ground wire from underneath the tone arm and connect it to the grounding lug of the VLPS.

OR

Is your VLPS near a transformer or power supply unit of another gear? If yes, located it away from it.

Ensure all interconnects are snug fit.

TIMSmiling wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:Check first grounding between your turntable and the VLPS. Also ensure all solders are good.

Yes, i've done these things, but I have found nothing. Could you be more specific?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TIMSmiling » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:20 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Try to provide a ground wire from underneath the tone arm and connect it to the grounding lug of the VLPS.

OR

Is your VLPS near a transformer or power supply unit of another gear? If yes, located it away from it.

Ensure all interconnects are snug fit.

I've done these things a thousand times. The connections and moving the unit around were the first thing I tried. Ground wire doesn't help. A turntable with one has the same issue. This is an issue within the V-LPS circuit.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot the solder connections within to help identify the source of (what I am assuming is) a ground loop?
TIMSmiling

Postby buzzlite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:16 pm

Alex/Endrik

Can you share how much is the total cost to upgrade a VLPs phono? Thanks in advance. :D
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 am

buzzlite wrote:Alex/Endrik

Can you share how much is the total cost to upgrade a VLPs phono? Thanks in advance. :D

Around 2.5k for the vlps, 4.5k for the salas shunt psu. . . :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to DIY and Tubes