working with aluminum

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Re: working with aluminum

Postby tony » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 am

thanks rene, ngayon lang ulit ako nagkatime......pero bitin pa rin.... :D
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tube Pro » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

:clap:

Sir Tony,

Great job! ilang ulit kong tiningnan ung mga pictures ng projects mo, hindi nakakasawa... :rock:
nakakainggit... hehehe... :D
Congratulations at na-utilize nyo ung mga $1 TV vacuum tubes nyo.
Another excelent works from Sir TonyT.

Good work master... ;)

Joel
Tube Pro

Postby endrik35 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Nice works Sir Tony! Sana marunong din ako magopera ng tube amp tulad ninyo! Since working with aluminum ang topic, I have a question for you Sir Tony. Plano kong magpafabricate ng aluminum speaker baffle, bookshelf lang naman. Kaya ba ng mga tiga Binondo Sir Tony? Wanna pattern it after the YG acoustics speakers. Kahit yung maliit lang na baffle sa tuktok nung Anat reference II. Here are some pics from the CES 2010:

Eto link sa website ng YG acoustics:
http://www.yg-acoustics.com/main.html
Thanks Sir tony! :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alexg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:44 am

Am not Tony, but those Binondo aluminum vendors cannot do what you want.

You will be better off contacting a machine shop. HTH.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am

there is a thread about machine shops here, just do a search for it...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby endrik35 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 pm

thanks alex and tony for the reply. Will ask amber if they can fabricate one
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 pm

i just remembered, when i was in Sulimco Metals, they have these aluminum plates as thick as 25mm, 32 mm and thicker....if you are really intent to splurge, you can buy them cut to size to form your speaker baffles, i guess your wallet and imagination are the only limits to what you want to do... ;)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brogger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 am

OT: can you chrome aluminum plate to give it a mirror finish?, or do you buff it? if so, how is it done? -circular sanding paper? (what grit no?), or by paint stripper buffer? (which looks like a scotch brite).

TIA
brogger

Postby hypertriode » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 am

brogger wrote:OT: can you chrome aluminum plate to give it a mirror finish?, or do you buff it? if so, how is it done? -circular sanding paper? (what grit no?), or by paint stripper buffer? (which looks like a scotch brite).

TIA

Hi brogger! Aluminum can be chrome plated. It can also be polished by buffing with special equipment. To save you the time and trouble i can refer you to the one who does it for me and my projects. Glad to be of help bro! 8)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby brogger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:15 pm

hypertriode wrote:
brogger wrote:OT: can you chrome aluminum plate to give it a mirror finish?, or do you buff it? if so, how is it done? -circular sanding paper? (what grit no?), or by paint stripper buffer? (which looks like a scotch brite).

TIA

Hi brogger! Aluminum can be chrome plated. It can also be polished by buffing with special equipment. To save you the time and trouble i can refer you to the one who does it for me and my projects. Glad to be of help bro! 8)

Please endorse me.

Contact nos will be appreciated.

I live south, but willing to travel till north end of SSH.

Thanks,
brogger

Postby hypertriode » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:32 pm

brogger wrote:
hypertriode wrote:

TIA

Please endorse me.

Contact nos will be appreciated.

I live south, but willing to travel till north end of SSH.

Thanks,

No problemo bro! Check your PM please :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby tony » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:31 am

TIA

today's' technology are truly amazing, with aluminum, you can have it powder coated to the color, texture or finish you want...
you may even have it laminated to look like wood.....https://www.facebook.com/uppowdercoat?fref=nf
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:45 pm

tony wrote:

TIA

today's' technology are truly amazing, with aluminum, you can have it powder coated to the color, texture or finish you want...
you may even have it laminated to look like wood.....https://www.facebook.com/uppowdercoat?fref=nf

That's fascinating indeed, to have aluminum look like wood. Having lived with aluminum for 30 years of my life, I never envisioned this day when it can be 'converted' into wood. :) We had trouble in the early days when we needed high purity aluminum to have a shiny and glossy effect from anodizing. Then came powder coat and lower grade purity is enough as the powdered color is simply 'plastered' over it. Now, woody finish makes it real beautiful, without the fear of termites and corrosion. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby tony » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:43 pm

anodizing fades over time, easily scratched and very expensive.....not so with powder coating....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:57 pm

tony wrote:anodizing fades over time, easily scratched and very expensive.....not so with powder coating....

That's true, Tony. And with rain and sun, even quicker. In those days, there was the 'analok' finish, brown or blackish color, kind of matte finish and not glossy. Looked more 'elegant' but even more expensive than anodizing.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to DIY and Tubes