Re: My diy stuff...next diy project

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Postby trod93 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:39 am

I just want to share the arm wands I've been experimenting on the last few weeks. The first one is the 10.5" kamagong wand with a customized aluminum headshell. On my first test, the kamagong wand's high frequencies were rolled off. I applied 2 coats of polyurethane and it now sounds a lot better.

Another experiment was to use metal and wood. This time a 1/8" thick flat aluminum is sandwiched by 2 narra sticks. The narra sticks working as dampeners.

My tt now with 2 matching tonearms. 9" arm in the foreground.

11" arm. Fremer said, the best arm length is 11 inches. I just had to do it and find out. The arm isn't well aligned yet, so, can't confirm that at the moment. I needed to extend the tonearm mount beyond the border of the plinth. I had to modify the lifter as well. It's difficult cuing the arm with the lifter on the right side especially with an arm this long. Nakayod ko nga ung isang plaka ko nung una.

I've read that aligning the tip of the stylus with the arm will give you better results. Well, I guess, the reason behind it is, you can align the cart on the 2 null points almost perfectly.

IMO, the wood and aluminum combo sounds better than wood alone. :) You enjoy the strength of both materials - the rigidity of metal and the elegance wood.
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby camotecue » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 am

Nice projects Tony!
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 am

tukayo, makakarating ba ng Dusit yan?
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ojof00l » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:51 am

tony sent u pm
ojof00l
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Nice work on the tone arms :) glad that you took the DIY path for the tonearm :) btw, you are correct on aligning the tip of the stylus with that of the arm, that's what i did exactly when I made my mods on my kamagong tonearm, but I placed the alignment adjustment right above the stylus itself, so that even if I adjust the zenith, I still maintain my stylus aligned with arm's centerline :) I don't know if I posted my headshell design, but if you check the tonearm design of thorens, you will see that the adjustment screw is right above the stylus :)

Hope to see this during the HiFi show :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to DIY and Tubes