Help! DIY tube dampers

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Help! DIY tube dampers

Postby mahavishnu » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:34 pm

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

im quite new with tubes. i just want to lessen the vibe the tubes are taking in my tweed amp. i want to make my own c-ring dampers with locally available materials. can anyone help or point me where i can get parts? any alternatives or suggestions? THANKS A LOT!
mahavishnu
Citizen
Citizen

Postby alexg » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Are your tubes microphonic?

I have a line stage with a pair of microphonic 6688, I just put 3 thick O rings on it and it helped. (Make sure the O rings are urethane so it can withstand the heat of the tube).
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 pm

alexg wrote:Are your tubes microphonic?

I have a line stage with a pair of microphonic 6688, I just put 3 thick O rings on it and it helped. (Make sure the O rings are urethane so it can withstand the heat of the tube).

hey alex, bro where did you purchase your o-rings?? can you PM mem sample pictures?? i plan to buy from a local dealer here in Davao, thanks! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby mahavishnu » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:52 pm

yes they're microphonic.. and if i do a retube.. sooner or later the new tubes will become too. its a combo amp. the tubes are directly behind the celestion speaker :(

where can i get these O rings? you have a pic?

any more suggestions? thanks!
mahavishnu
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:51 am

Superman wrote:
alexg wrote:Are your tubes microphonic?

hey alex, bro where did you purchase your o-rings?? can you PM mem sample pictures?? i plan to buy from a local dealer here in Davao, thanks! :D

Supes,

I also use the same O-rings for my peanut tubes :wink:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby mahavishnu » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 pm

wher can i find em?
mahavishnu
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Help! DIY tube dampers

Postby leo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 am

mahavishnu wrote:im quite new with tubes. i just want to lessen the vibe the tubes are taking in my tweed amp. i want to make my own c-ring dampers with locally available materials. can anyone help or point me where i can get parts? any alternatives or suggestions? THANKS A LOT!

Here is my very cheap suggestion:

DIY Teflon Rings. These are for EL34s. I also made teflon rings for smaller tubes like 12AU7 and 6922/6dj8.

leo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am

Leo/Bogsle:

Where did you purchase these? Thanks!

Superman :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby leo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:31 am

I made these. I got the idea from the web, but changed it a bit (sorry I forgot the site/url source). The original idea suggests wrapping the peanut tubes with teflon used for plumbing and holding it down with cable tie.

I used the same materials basically, but wrapped the teflon around the cable tie instead of the tube and formed a ring.

Here are some more pics.

What were the effects? There is no more ringing or thumping sound coming from the speakers when I tap the stainless base around the tubes that you see in the pics. That was the first thing I checked and noted.

In my experience, it's not all good results though. I did not like the sound when used on the Svets EL34 Winged-C. The sound seem to have become thinner, no warmth and body in the music. The sound stage also seem to have become smaller. However, when used on the Matsus EL34s, bass became tighter and the mushy, all too warm presentation of the music became more defined.

This is not a general thing but just my personal observation. The effects of using these dampers may differ with other setups and tubes.
leo
Citizen
Citizen

Return to DIY and Tubes