Manila Collective: Dante's New Coffee Shop

Sponsors: dante

Manila Collective: Dante's New Coffee Shop

Postby dante » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Guess who came for coffee???

K.C! ;)

We finally did it. Opened a small coffee shop cum photo gallery/hang out at Cubao Ex. It's called the Manila Collective. If you haven't experienced Cubao Ex, you're missing a lot! We rotate Coffee Dante's coffees there on a weekly basis. Partner Jake Versoza provides the gallery exhibits, Ina Estacio the wonderful pastries, and Guia Abad the marketing savvy. Our barista, Peter, is a character to meet.

Drop by. We're open from 4 pm to 1 am everyday except Sundays and Mondays. ;)

Aerolatte Satin Finish

Original Milk Frother for making capps and lattes with minimum fuss. Makes a great Christmas gift. P800.

Aeropress coffee maker, still at P1,900.

Christmas gift ideas - Aerolatte with a pack of coffee (Roaster's choice) - P1,200. Coffee gift pack - Aeropress + Aerolatte + Pack of Coffee (Roaster's choice) - P3,000. Coffee - 10% discount for orders of 10 packs or more.

Available coffee -

Panama Elida Natural - P800 per 200g pack. Limited stocks. I will let the cupping notes from my supplier speak for itself. Usually, coffees with scores of 86 and up are considered very good already. :D

Dry- 3.9 Huge Aroma, Honey, floral, sweet, berries, cloves
Wet- 4.2 Huge aroma, Sweet, floral, Blueberries
flavor- 8.4 Honey, citrus, fruit, crisp apples
acid- 7.6
body- 7.8
aftertaste- 8.2 similar as the flavors with a delicate earl grey tea finish.
total+50= 90.1

Ethiopia + Yemen Red Sea Blend - P600 per 200g pack. This is a proprietary blend (meaning we don't know the specific origin and ratio of the bean blending) of Yemen and Ethiopian arabica, but a consistent best seller for many years now in the US. The coffee is pre-blended and so does not roast evenly BUT this makes for a very interesting cup. It is full bodied and yet substantially acidic. In coffee, acidity is not a bad thing - that does not translate to "asim" or sourness, but to a drier mouthfeel, almost astringent. Think "dry" in terms of wine. "Excellent" comes to mind when drinking this blend. Highly recommended!

Jamaica Blue Mountain Mavis Bank Estate - P1,500 per 200g pack. Stocks are dwindling, but my 2009 JBM is still here. Surprisingly, in these lean and supposedly mean time of economic crisis, my premium coffees (like my Grey Garrards) are the ones being snapped up. So, why the JBM? Simple. It is considered by many as the best in the world, bar none. The Japanese love this coffee and a must try at least once by a true coffee aficionado. Go to UCC to try a cup - at P300 per cup, I think. ;)

Hawaii Kona - P1,200 per 200g pack. New harvest frm Lion's Gate Farm, Kona.

Ethiopia Amaro Gayo Yirgachefe - P700 per 200g pack. This is almost as good as the IMV that I am no longer offering for sale. Almost Gesha-ish in character.

Ethiopia Kochere Wet Processed Yirgachefe - P500 per 200g pack. A traditional Yirg, processed wet, the traditional way. Good acidity, hints of lime and lemon, malty and complex. Great from hot to cool. In fact, it gets sweeter as it cools in your cup! Very nice body and mouth feel, typical of good Yirgs. Smooth and full bodied. I'd say that this is an all day coffee.

Ethiopia Korate Wet Processed Sidamo - P500 per 200g pack. From fruit punch to aged cabernet. The Ethiopians never fail to amaze. The Korate coop use the same Sidamo bean that they usually process dry and prepare it like a Yirg to achieve a very different flavored coffee. If you like fruit in your cup, but not too much of it, with a certain amount of wildness left in the brew, you have to try this bean.

Colombia Supremo 18+. That's bean size, not age. If you want your coffee simple - kapeng kape - no fruit, no tobacco, no flowers - just coffee - this is the coffee for you. Smooth but punchy, developing a chocolatey after taste as it cools. Excellent for breakfast. Or lunch. Even dinner. One of my mainstays. - P500 per 200 grams.

Costa Rica La Minita Tarrazu - P700 per 200g pack. Every Internet coffee place will tell you how great a coffee the Tarazzu arabica from La Minita Farms is! It is the quintessential coffee from Central America - smooth, full bodied. Suave with a long finish. Very enjoyable any time of the day, but really perfect in the evenings after a nice dinner.

Kenya Peaberry Gethumbwini Meryl Streep in Out of Africa grew coffee on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro where this coffee is from also. Very different from the Ethiopians. And the fact that this is a Peaberry (only one bean per coffee cherry instead of two) makes this a very unusual coffee. My daughter calls it "kapeng-kape". Just when you thought you've tried them all, along comes great coffee like this. Very limited stocks now. P700 per 200 grams.

Phiippine arabica - I am no longer roasting Philippine coffee. Quality and price issues continue to hound the local market.

Costa Rica Swiss Water Process Decaf is still available. Nobody will believe that this is Decaf. The body and mouth feel suggest a very good Central American coffee. All the flavor characteristics of a good Central, sans the caffeine! I take this even at midnight, with no caffeine kick. Great for evenings. And anytime of the day for the caffeine-sensitive among us! - P600 per 200 gram pack.

Buying tips: buy only enough coffee for one week use, maximum two weeks. I can grind it for you, but you will get the best results if you grind the beans yourselves just before you brew your coffee.

Storage tips: I pack roasted coffee in resealable bags but they are not as airtight as the Ziplocks. Best way to keep them fresh is to store them in those Lock and Lock airtight containers and keep them in your pantry - NOT IN THE REF! Refrigerating coffee will expose them to condensation every time you take the container out of the ref to get your daily dose. Room temperature is best. And brew your beans no later than 2 weeks after the roast date. I will indicate the roasting date of your coffee for your guidance.

Delivery service is available via 2Go. Still P150 for up to 2 packs of coffee within 2Go's "Serviceable" areas - this means the big cities like Angeles, Baguio, or even CDO, Davao and Cebu. This is usually next day delivery, which is pretty good.

Orders may be PMed or texted to me. Makati or Pasig pick up if you're in a hurry for your coffee.

Thank you!
Last edited by dante on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am, edited 18 times in total.
dante
cool dude

Postby arnoldc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Atty, di ba enterprise ka lang? Likod lang ako ng PBCom (Antel) kaya pwede ko pickup...

1 pack Sagada for me

Iisa isahin ko yan hanggat matikman lahat :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

?

Postby juju » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 pm

can you pm where to pickup, me sagada 1/4 kilo tasted this before sarap
juju
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 pm

i'll get 1 ethiopian & 1 sagada. whole beans please. just got my aeropress today. wil let some of the bldg tenants try it out. papasabay ko kay arnold ang pick up.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby dante » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 am

Thanks for the orders guys. I will have the beans ready by Saturday. Tonyboy, since I'll be seeing you Sat night, dalhin ko na lang yung orders mo with Arnie's?

To the others who PMed their orders, I will assume that you want 250 grams each of whole beans of each coffee variety you ordered unless you advise me otherwise. Pick up in Pasig (my house) Saturday afternoon onwards. I'll PM all of you my address.

Cheers!
dante
cool dude

Re: ?

Postby dante » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 am

juju wrote:can you pm where to pickup, me sagada 1/4 kilo tasted this before sarap

Anytime from noon onwards on Saturday Pare. Address is 16 Pina Street, Valle Verde 1, Pasig City. Residence of Atty Dante Pamintuan. Just tell the guard that you're dropping by to visit. Thanks!
dante
cool dude

Postby arnoldc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 am

Wala kaming office pag Saturday so makikisabay na lang ako kay Tony Boy and pickup ko sa kanya... baka swertehin ako may kasama pang Russian yan :P
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby sinar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 am

dante, i'll get the ethiopian blend. pls txt me your exact office address. i'll have it pick up by tuesday pa because we are loaded na sa monday. thanks.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I roasted the Ethiopian and Sagada beans this morning, as ordered in this thread and PMed to me. Pick up from my house in Pasig will be available starting tomorrow morning.

I'll try the Ethiopian Yirgachefe for breakfast tomorrow. The Guatemala was great (and ubos na - inubos ni Boytoy! :lol: ) so I'll have to roast a fresh batch tomorrow. I'll post my tasting impressions this weekend.

Detubo, dalhin ko na lang yung orders mo and Arnie's tomorrow night when we see each other?
dante
cool dude

Postby rpastorjr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:28 pm

hi dante, i'd like to get 1/4 kilo sagada blend. Where in Pasig can i pick it up? thanks.

Jun -- 09178433910
rpastorjr
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 pm

rpastorjr wrote:hi dante, i'd like to get 1/4 kilo sagada blend. Where in Pasig can i pick it up? thanks.

Jun -- 09178433910

Thanks Jun. You have PM. :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby O.D. Yeo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Dante,
Philippine pure arabica from Sagada - P200 per 1/4 kilo for me please.
Ok to pa-pick up tomorrow am?
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:57 pm

maybe it's just me but i like this thread... parang may cyber-picnic sa wirestate 8)

thanks to Dante for sharing his expertise/passion.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:57 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:Hi Dante,
Philippine pure arabica from Sagada - P200 per 1/4 kilo for me please.
Ok to pa-pick up tomorrow am?

Sure, Billy. I have one last pack of 250 grams Sagada for this roasting. Ubos na after that's taken. This test run is sold out! I'll post my second roasting soon. Thanks guys.
dante
cool dude

Postby dante » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Quiel wrote:maybe it's just me but i like this thread... parang may cyber-picnic sa wirestate 8)

thanks to Dante for sharing his expertise/passion.

Ok nga because I can market test my coffee with this discriminating group first before unleashing it on the unsuspecting public! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bagay itong coffee na ito with Mrs. VD's food for the gods and brownies! :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Hmmmm. Very very good! Very very fine pala talaga ang grind for the aero.
You've made this an almost perfect Saturday afternoon . . . this is the life . . . good sounds . . . good brew.
Kulang na lang . . .
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dante » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:Hmmmm. Very very good! Very very fine pala talaga ang grind for the aero.
You've made this an almost perfect Saturday afternoon . . . this is the life . . . good sounds . . . good brew.
Kulang na lang . . .

Yup, espresso grind is as fine as Boracay sand. Notice that the grounds get fatter after brewing? The taste and aroma of your Sagada are going to improve more by tomorrow, Billy. It's great as an espresso, but try it as an Americano - 1:1 ratio of espresso and hot water - with muscovado and creamer. I tell you, that is pure bliss! I am trying the Ethiopia now from my roasting yesterday - exquisite taste. If you like Sagada, then you'll get floored by the Ethiopia and the Guatemala. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
dante
cool dude

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm

It's great as an espresso, but try it as an Americano - 1:1 ratio of espresso and hot water - with muscovado and creamer. I tell you, that is pure bliss! I am trying the Ethiopia now from my roasting yesterday - exquisite taste. If you like Sagada, then you'll get floored by the Ethiopia and the Guatemala.

I take my coffee Obama-style: Americano black, no sweetener.
Expect me there every 2 weeks for a different bean until I develop a favorite.
I have a feeling I'll wake up earlier than usual tomorrow morning!
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dante » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:48 am

O.D. Yeo wrote:
It's great as an espresso, but try it as an Americano - 1:1 ratio of espresso and hot water - with muscovado and creamer. I tell you, that is pure bliss! I am trying the Ethiopia now from my roasting yesterday - exquisite taste. If you like Sagada, then you'll get floored by the Ethiopia and the Guatemala.

I take my coffee Obama-style: Americano black, no sweetener.
Expect me there every 2 weeks for a different bean until I develop a favorite.
I have a feeling I'll wake up earlier than usual tomorrow morning!

Just let me know when you want to have your new beans picked up Billy. Two days lead time would help since my commercial roaster is not yet here. So, I'm still using a home roaster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dante
cool dude

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 am

I didn't sleep too well last night. Had some rather weird dreams. :shock:
Do you know if your sagada connection practices inter-cropping? Maybe the stuff I got was meant to be rolled and inhaled! :?
Just kidding, of course. In fact, just had breakfast and eagerly looking forward to day 2.

Btw, in case you're looking for a name for your beans or your shop, consider Magic Beans too (if Mike allows it).
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Non-Audio